Virtual Christmas thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Tabby-cat , if your mum has a phone maybe now is the time for it to develop a 'fault'. If the home are letting her phone you, maybe ask that they try to distract her, rather than asking you to calm her down. It sounds like she has caught herself in a bit of a loop.
My brother continues to improve and sister-in-law was able to take their ten year old son to see him on the way to lunch with mum and my family. I chose a country house hotel close to mum's home for an early afternoon tea for her Christmas treat from us. It was ideal, the place is very palatial, the staff attentive and mum enjoyed the finger food and champagne, as did the rest of us. The staff took a picture of us all that we sent to my brother so he could feel that he'd been involved. Mum was very muddled, and seems to have problems giving items their correct name, she talked about sausages, when I think she was referring to her nightie for instance, but she had fun and did more or less know who we all are. She didn't mention my brother, but I think her brain was trying to compute who was missing.
One slight worry was that her fall looks like it might have been more serious than I thought. She fell a few times when at home, and never did herself harm, so wasn't concerned when the home phoned She has a bit of a black eye this time, so obviously bashed herself on something. I intended on making an appointment with the manager to talk through mum's care early in the New Year anyway, so that will be something to discuss.

MrsDoyle

Mar 28, 2019
East Mids
This Christmas has been so difficult. My PWD had a significant haemorrhagic stroke earlier this month and is in hospital. His dementia has leapt forward and he often doesn’t make any sense and is easily confused. He had been declining steadily but this rapid advancement has sent me reeling. He’s hallucinating, talking to whoever and can’t find the right words when he wants to say something to me. He can answer simple questions and often understands what people are saying but it’s a terrible shock. He’s bed bound but often doesn’t realise he’s in hospital. Plans are to get him home with live-in carers eventually.
I saw my family on CD but the rest of the holiday period has been spent mainly on my own with just the dog and then the visit to the hospital. I’m still suffering from the shock of the loss of the man I knew but with not getting much support.( 30 seconds after I finished this post, my SIL rang me to check on me, so I’m grateful ) . Friends and family have their own things organised for this period. Even with his dementia, he was still holding great conversation and going out and we had several events to go to. It’s all gone in an instant. The New Year is looming and I’m dreading it
I must add that my heart goes out to him too. He keeps saying he can’t wait for these two weeks to be over ( it’s been four so far)

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

The more rapid progression of dementia caused by other health issues prevents you from being able to get used to changes gradually @MrsDoyle, if ever we can. It`s really tough and so isolating.

At least if you have live in carers eventually and a more settled routine can be established it might give you a little more freedom.

Tabby-cat

May 27, 2019
I’m so sorry to hear this, you are having a hard time. I have found this website very supportive and I hope you do too. I have found that although friends are sympathetic to dementia until someone has experienced it they don’t really understand.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Thank you everyone for participating in our Virtual Christmas thread. We hope you all had a peaceful Christmas and start to the New Year.

This thread will now be closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour