1. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Yes, another Christmas over.
    My first without mum and this Christmas really brought home to me OHs deterioration. I was sad and rather aghast to discover how much he depended on his routines and little rituals to get him through the day. Without them he is lost. Even making coffee for him while he got his cereal for breakfast was enough to throw him so that he didnt know what to do.

No, you are not wrong. Many people with dementia (PWDs) are unable to understand that they have dementia and its best and kindest not to keep telling them.

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Welcome to TP, Mudgee Joy. A bush picnic is a good to spend Christmas. I agree with canary, my OH has just realised she has dementia after denying it for years and it's sad to see her come to terms, so I would recommend protecting your husband as long as possible.

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    thanks @Izzy and @Prudence9
    I did sleep well
    I guess some days the stuff we thought we'd dealt with, or suppressed, rises to the surface
    the staff in dad's home are lovely and thoughtful - so there's a blessing to be thankful for

hello @Mudgee Joy
    welcome from me too
    I love picnics so a Christmas bush picnic sounds like a pretty good way to celebrate
    and I agree; whatever helps your husband feel as good as possible is what's best for him, and if he isn't anxious, that's good for you
    and remember, TP isn't just for Christmas, so keep posting

4. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Hope everyone is having a peaceful Boxing Day today. It's very wet here, and colder than it has been, but I took myself out for a good walk anyway. All cosied up in the warm for the afternoon and evening now. Haven't seen a soul all day. Lovely quiet day.

5. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    It's wet and grey here too LadyA. C is watching The Sound of Music, while I'm just singing along badly to the songs.

6. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Watching a programme about Andre Rieu and it showed a clip of his concert in Australia playing and audience singing Waltzing Matilda. Immediately took me back to dad in his nursing home during his calmer moments when he would break into spontaneous Latin mass singing but also whistle Waltzing Matilda....no idea why...he had never been to or had any connection to Australia. As he declined the whistling and singing stopped but I was lucky enough to capture his latin singing on my phone...strangely gives me comfort to listen now and again as it reminds me of the dad I had before the illness took hold.

The concerts look such great fun...a London Christmas one is now showing. has anyone been to one of his concerts anywhere in the world?