1. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    #61 Loopiloo, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    @naesorran I can't find the right words to say something comforting except I do feel your sadness and pain. So many sadnesses. I hope tomorrow will be one of the good days for you both. Or parts of it will be which is sometimes the best we can have in one day.
    Thinking of you.

Loo xxx

2. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland

3. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    Thanks@Lawson58, and the same to you!

I guess you will be wakening to a warm sunny Christmas morning about now, and in a wee while I’ll be going to sleep to a wet Christmas Eve!

My Dad spent his last 20 years in Victoria, Australia, and loved the climate,thrived in it - came home for a visit every other year. He was a Glaswegian, as was I then we left Glasgow after the war. I also loved the Australian climate… although 40+C could be testing!

Merry Christmas!
    Loo x
    attachmentWST8NUIV.jpg

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    So sorry to hear you are poorly, LadyA! Look after yourself

5. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Thanks, @Beate . I'm sure I'll be fine. I've had a quiet day, and will have an early night.

6. Prudence9

Prudence9 Registered User

Oct 8, 2016
    Hope you're much better tomorrow LadyA, why is it always Christmas?! xx

7. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    At least I don't have to do anything much tomorrow! I supplied the turkey and stuffed it, and my son in law will cook it in the morning. Dau is doing all the veg. Lunch is at their house. I made Christmas pudding in October, and have made cranberry/orange relish. All I have to do tomorrow is turn up, knife and fork at the ready!

8. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    It's hardly a "Virtual Christmas" when everyone is sharing it with "real" people.
    Other than the staff in the home Christmas is "virtual" for me apart from the man in the off licence who wished me seasons greetings.
    K

9. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    I hope you manage the early night LadyA, and in particular that you sleep and feel better tomorrow.

Wishing everyone as good a Christmas as is possible.
    Love frae Loo xxx

10. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Such a great photo , thank you.

Cool day today only about 21 degrees so don't mind cooking. Big family night last night and a nice easy day today. Ex husband tried to fire a few bullets but we dodged them and he left early so we continued to party until late. I hope you have a lovely day.

11. Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
    I hope you can have a good day tomorrow Kevinl, sorry it's a virtual wish for you but I do wish you a happy Christmas - and here's a virtual hug to go with it (((K)))!
    Best wishes to you and your Wife xxx

12. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    It's past my bedtime but now officially Christmas here. I hope for the best possible Christmas for everyone here, real or virtual or some of both.

I so appreciate everyone on Talking Point and it's been a true lifesaver for me. Thanks to you all for sharing your time, advice, and experience here.

13. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    I wish I could share all the Christmas cookies we baked with everyone for real, but I suppose the virtual sort have no calories.

Attached Files:

14. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Hope you find some positives for Christmas Kevin and you have a good visit to your wife's Care Home.

15. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Another Christmas Day is done. My third since William died - but my first as a grandmother. My grandson will be one on New Years Eve. So yes, Christmas Day does still have some sad/poignant moments. But also some very happy ones. Watching my daughter and son in law's delight in their little son and their dedication to being the best parents they can be, would give you courage for the future.
    Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

16. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    haven't quite settled enough for sleep
    had lunch with dad in his room in his care home - he wasn't wanting to be among the other residents so the staff set a proper table for us, table cloth, napkins and buck's fizz - and I played a Christmas CD
    I think he knew it was Christmas Day
    unutterably sad
    he did eat a full dinner, all the trimmings, and by himself which tired him out so he was asleep for the Queen
    I liked her message - she spoke of welcoming new members to her family next year
    so she's thinking like you LadyA of the younger generations
    I watched one of the Christmas Day services in the morning, where the Bishop gave his sermon holding a baby - another reminder of what Christmas is really about, hope and the future - sometimes hard to keep that in mind
    dad thought the world of his grandsons - and their card says they adore him - shame they haven't visited him since he moved into the home, and rarely before that (they are grown men) - they keep their memories of him, though, and dad has forgotten them - they go forward into their future, and dad's not sure of his present or past - he would, though, be happy that they are getting on with their lives
    oh well, onward into tomorrow

17. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    That's so lovely @Lady A.

18. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    @Shedrech your post is so sad. Such a shame that your dad's grandsons don't visit. It was nice though that the staff set up the meal for you as they did.

I hope you have a pleasant day today.

19. Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
    LadyA, glad you enjoyed the day despite your cold, hope you can relax and pamper yourself today.

Shedrech I'm so sorry it was a sad day for you. What a shame about your Dad's grandsons, I daresay they'll regret their (non) actions one day.
    It must have been lovely for your Dad to have you there, but doesn't it take it's toll on you when you're trying to be upbeat and Christmassy while you're watching them retreat?

You are always so helpful to people and so kind, I wish I had the words to alleviate your sadness.

I do hope you have a better, happier day today and you slept well last night.

20. Mudgee Joy

Mudgee Joy Registered User

Dec 26, 2017
    Female
    New South Wales Australia
    We have no Yule logs here in Australia but sounds yummy - we had a weird but good Christmas- my husband’s daughter has become very helpful lately seeing how her farther has gone down this year and she brought a lovely hamper of food and we had a bush picnic.
    It rained most of the time - but lightly, and we found a shelter and picnic table. I think cool weather helps. Helps my husband seem normal. It was over 35 degrees C the day before. Anyway, a different but pretty good Christmas for us. My husband does not seem to know he has dementia- and I would rather not make a point if it . Am I wrong ? He is 86.