• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Virtual Christmas thread

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I've tried to protect C from it as I know she links dementia with going crazy and won't accept being a burden. Can't find the right words, but I'll be ok Izzy, it just seems the good days are quickly followed by something upsetting a lot recently. Thanks for caring.
@naesorran I can't find the right words to say something comforting except I do feel your sadness and pain. So many sadnesses. I hope tomorrow will be one of the good days for you both. Or parts of it will be which is sometimes the best we can have in one day.
Thinking of you.

Loo xxx

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
So they are all having a very Australian Christmas but at least the weather forecast is bearable. Last year it was almost forty degrees C. but this year it is going to half that. I hope you are going to Skype each other as that should be fun. It will be lovely to welcome your new great grandchild, a baby at Christmas. How lovely!

My grandfather was born in Glasgow and a lot of my ancestors came from Linlithgow so I always get a bit misty eyed when I hear bagpipes or watch the Edinburgh Tattoo.

Photo is of Whitehaven beach in Whitsundays Queensland.

Have a happy one!

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
So they are all having a very Australian Christmas but at least the weather forecast is bearable. Last year it was almost forty degrees C. but this year it is going to half that. I hope you are going to Skype each other as that should be fun. It will be lovely to welcome your new great grandchild, a baby at Christmas. How lovely!

My grandfather was born in Glasgow and a lot of my ancestors came from Linlithgow so I always get a bit misty eyed when 58I hear bagpipes or watch the Edinburgh Tattoo.

Photo is of Whitehaven beach in Whitsundays Queensland.

Have a happy one!
Thanks@Lawson58, and the same to you!

I guess you will be wakening to a warm sunny Christmas morning about now, and in a wee while I’ll be going to sleep to a wet Christmas Eve!

My Dad spent his last 20 years in Victoria, Australia, and loved the climate,thrived in it - came home for a visit every other year. He was a Glaswegian, as was I then we left Glasgow after the war. I also loved the Australian climate… although 40+C could be testing!

Merry Christmas!
Loo x
attachmentWST8NUIV.jpg

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've got a nasty cold, so haven't been out all day. Snuggled up now with the stove lit, the house warm and cozy and the cats snoozing. The only disturbance is my coughing! Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow. Wishing everyone a peaceful night.
So sorry to hear you are poorly, LadyA! Look after yourself

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope you're much better tomorrow LadyA, why is it always Christmas?! xx
At least I don't have to do anything much tomorrow! I supplied the turkey and stuffed it, and my son in law will cook it in the morning. Dau is doing all the veg. Lunch is at their house. I made Christmas pudding in October, and have made cranberry/orange relish. All I have to do tomorrow is turn up, knife and fork at the ready!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's hardly a "Virtual Christmas" when everyone is sharing it with "real" people.
Other than the staff in the home Christmas is "virtual" for me apart from the man in the off licence who wished me seasons greetings.
K

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks, @Beate . I'm sure I'll be fine. I've had a quiet day, and will have an early night.
I hope you manage the early night LadyA, and in particular that you sleep and feel better tomorrow.

Wishing everyone as good a Christmas as is possible.
Love frae Loo xxx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks@Lawson58, and the same to you!

I guess you will be wakening to a warm sunny Christmas morning about now, and in a wee while I’ll be going to sleep to a wet Christmas Eve!

My Dad spent his last 20 years in Victoria, Australia, and loved the climate,thrived in it - came home for a visit every other year. He was a Glaswegian, as was I then we left Glasgow after the war. I also loved the Australian climate… although 40+C could be testing!

Merry Christmas!
Loo x
View attachment 57901

Such a great photo , thank you.

Cool day today only about 21 degrees so don't mind cooking. Big family night last night and a nice easy day today. Ex husband tried to fire a few bullets but we dodged them and he left early so we continued to party until late. I hope you have a lovely day.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
I hope you can have a good day tomorrow Kevinl, sorry it's a virtual wish for you but I do wish you a happy Christmas - and here's a virtual hug to go with it (((K)))!
Best wishes to you and your Wife xxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
It's past my bedtime but now officially Christmas here. I hope for the best possible Christmas for everyone here, real or virtual or some of both.

I so appreciate everyone on Talking Point and it's been a true lifesaver for me. Thanks to you all for sharing your time, advice, and experience here.

nae sporran

Volunteer Host
Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's hardly a "Virtual Christmas" when everyone is sharing it with "real" people.
Other than the staff in the home Christmas is "virtual" for me apart from the man in the off licence who wished me seasons greetings.
K
Hope you find some positives for Christmas Kevin and you have a good visit to your wife's Care Home.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Another Christmas Day is done. My third since William died - but my first as a grandmother. My grandson will be one on New Years Eve. So yes, Christmas Day does still have some sad/poignant moments. But also some very happy ones. Watching my daughter and son in law's delight in their little son and their dedication to being the best parents they can be, would give you courage for the future.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Shedrech

Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
Yorkshire
haven't quite settled enough for sleep
had lunch with dad in his room in his care home - he wasn't wanting to be among the other residents so the staff set a proper table for us, table cloth, napkins and buck's fizz - and I played a Christmas CD
I think he knew it was Christmas Day
unutterably sad
he did eat a full dinner, all the trimmings, and by himself which tired him out so he was asleep for the Queen
I liked her message - she spoke of welcoming new members to her family next year
so she's thinking like you LadyA of the younger generations
I watched one of the Christmas Day services in the morning, where the Bishop gave his sermon holding a baby - another reminder of what Christmas is really about, hope and the future - sometimes hard to keep that in mind
dad thought the world of his grandsons - and their card says they adore him - shame they haven't visited him since he moved into the home, and rarely before that (they are grown men) - they keep their memories of him, though, and dad has forgotten them - they go forward into their future, and dad's not sure of his present or past - he would, though, be happy that they are getting on with their lives
oh well, onward into tomorrow

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Shedrech your post is so sad. Such a shame that your dad's grandsons don't visit. It was nice though that the staff set up the meal for you as they did.

I hope you have a pleasant day today.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
LadyA, glad you enjoyed the day despite your cold, hope you can relax and pamper yourself today.

Shedrech I'm so sorry it was a sad day for you. What a shame about your Dad's grandsons, I daresay they'll regret their (non) actions one day.
It must have been lovely for your Dad to have you there, but doesn't it take it's toll on you when you're trying to be upbeat and Christmassy while you're watching them retreat?

You are always so helpful to people and so kind, I wish I had the words to alleviate your sadness.

I do hope you have a better, happier day today and you slept well last night.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
We have no Yule logs here in Australia but sounds yummy - we had a weird but good Christmas- my husband’s daughter has become very helpful lately seeing how her farther has gone down this year and she brought a lovely hamper of food and we had a bush picnic.
It rained most of the time - but lightly, and we found a shelter and picnic table. I think cool weather helps. Helps my husband seem normal. It was over 35 degrees C the day before. Anyway, a different but pretty good Christmas for us. My husband does not seem to know he has dementia- and I would rather not make a point if it . Am I wrong ? He is 86.