1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

So they are all having a very Australian Christmas but at least the weather forecast is bearable. Last year it was almost forty degrees C. but this year it is going to half that. I hope you are going to Skype each other as that should be fun. It will be lovely to welcome your new great grandchild, a baby at Christmas. How lovely!

My grandfather was born in Glasgow and a lot of my ancestors came from Linlithgow so I always get a bit misty eyed when I hear bagpipes or watch the Edinburgh Tattoo.

Photo is of Whitehaven beach in Whitsundays Queensland.

Have a happy one!

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    The nearest I ever got to Christmas on the beach was a trip to St Andrews on Boxing Day and it was unseasonably warm. We lived just a few miles from Linlithgow at that time.
    Have a good warm Christmas @Lawson58.

3. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    My first Christmas without dear Dad..half my family has now gone...mum and twin brother as well...2 invisible sisters and me remain. However...as sad as this Christmas feels for me, others who have also lost their loved ones and many of you still dealing with the daily struggles of dementia...what has made me chuckle through this are the posts like jimbo's daily insults with class and the threads sharing happy memories of childhood Christmas times and music which whilst mine brought a tear to my eyes also gave me a warm comforting feeling of lovely memories I have of my dear mum and dad so thank you to all TPers and I wish you all a peaceful and restful Christmas. Now...shopping all done, off to feed son's cats as they are away skiing in Canada on honeymoon, lovely daughter back from London for a few days, wreath made and just off to cemetery, mince pies to be made and midnight mass tonight where I now will add another lit candle for dad alongside mum and brother. Best wishes to you and yours x

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK

Emotional post. Hope you have a great time with your daughter.

5. Prudence9

Prudence9 Registered User

Oct 8, 2016
    love.dad.but and all who are grieving and coping and having a Day with Dementia, I'd like to wish you all a peaceful and calm Christmas.

Thank you for all the cards and good wishes, thoughts and love are with you all for the New Year xxx

6. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    The Christmas dementia rollercoaster continues. C was her usual bubbly self all through lunch and her daughter was actually very nice as was her new boyfriend. So, it was going well. C and her daughter have known the fella who owns the restaurant for 30 years, she offered him money to open a restaurant when was still a waiter, he turned her down but he never forgets and told daughter's boyfriend. So, we got our lunch on the house, which was so lovely. Then C had to tell him she has dementia and if she forgets who he is next time she still loves him. I tried not to cry all the way home, the tears are coming now.

7. Prudence9

Prudence9 Registered User

Oct 8, 2016
    Oh nae sporran that made me cry so goodness knows how you're feeling, bless your lovely wife XXX

8. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Oh Rob so sad poor Chrystel and poor you so difficult to know what to say to comfort you think a wee cry is what you need sending a gentle hug to you both.

9. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Oh, Rob...that s so darned sad. I send hugs to you both too x x

10. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I've got a nasty cold, so haven't been out all day. Snuggled up now with the stove lit, the house warm and cozy and the cats snoozing. The only disturbance is my coughing! Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow. Wishing everyone a peaceful night.

11. Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I always thought Benylin tasted like port and vice versa...try a slug of port, LadyA. Get well soon x

12. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Thanks everybody, I did feel a bit better after a wee cry and C didn't see me which was a bonus.

Get well soon LadyA.

13. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Mark started a Christmas chat thread, and I posted on it then got a pm to say it had been moved to this thread, do not know why, so anyway, I am watching Top Gear Middle East Special and for the fourth time seeing it, still finding it entertaining and funny. everything so politically incorrect the trio just make me laugh.

14. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I hope you feel better soon Lady A.

I’m watching Carols from Kings in my pjs.

15. Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Done the carols...now dads army for us.

16. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh Rob. So sad. Hope you’re ok.

17. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I'm listening to an audio book. Sir Patrick Stewart's One Man performance of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I've had it for years, but never tire of it. Brilliant performance.

18. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    The Muppets Christmas Carol anyone?

19. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    @Beate i’ve got it on record to watch later.

20. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    I've tried to protect C from it as I know she links dementia with going crazy and won't accept being a burden. Can't find the right words, but I'll be ok Izzy, it just seems the good days are quickly followed by something upsetting a lot recently. Thanks for caring.