1. HarrietD

HarrietD Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2014
    London
    The fire is crackling, the mince pies are in the corner, the tree has been decorated and the stockings are up. Welcome to your virtual Christmas :)

We thought we'd make this thread a space where you can come together and support each other during the festive period. Everywhere we turn we’re surrounded by songs and films telling us that it is the “most wonderful time of the year”, yet real life is rarely as perfect as it is in a Christmas advert. It’s ok if you are finding the holidays difficult or you are struggling.

Remember to be kind to yourself, and also remember that you are not alone. As well as Talking Point which is available 24/7, the Helpline is here to offer support and a listening ear if you need to talk to someone in person. You can find out when the Helpline will be open over Christmas and the New Year.

Wishing you all a peaceful Christmas,

The Talking Point Team

upload_2017-12-22_10-14-22.png

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Lovely idea, to have a dedicated thread to come to over the Christmas season, @HarrietD .

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Is there any Yule log?

4. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Actual or chocolate?? :D:D

5. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Chocolate :oops:

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I think that's such an important message. It's good to know that people have a safe place to come to.

7. Loopiloo

Loopiloo Registered User

May 10, 2010
    Female
    Scotland
    I agree with Izzy, and thank you for creating this thread.

Christmas with dementia is not easy and can be an extremely difficult time for both those with dementia and also their carers. Individual situations differ but the emotions are similar. Then there are those who are no longer carers having suffered the ultimate loss.

So thank you again for the invitation.

Loo x

8. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    What a kind idea!

@Cat27, i have ordered the Yule Log (one chocolate and one Grand Marnier flavour) and will pick them up Christmas Eve day morning. I will save you a slice of the chocolate! I'm lucky to have a very good French bakery and patisserie close to where I live.

9. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Lovely idea, thank you, @HarrietD. I wonder if the team realise what a lifeline this forum is? We say it...but we really mean it. Have a lovely Christmas, Team x x

10. Prudence9

Prudence9 Registered User

Oct 8, 2016
    I've just ordered cherries in Kirsch to make a Black Forest Trifle for 29th Dec. when we have family round for Christmas.
    Mum used to make it back in the 70's and it was gorgeous - just hoping I can do it justice!

Might have to hive off a wee bit of Kirsch for quality control....:D

Thank you for this thread

11. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Just to say, the comedian Sarah Millican will do her #joinin thing again on Twitter for everyone who is lonely at Christmas:

http://standardissuemagazine.com/lifestyle/lonely-christmas/

She says: "Plus if you’re chatting online rather than in person, you don’t have to hoover or wear a bra and you can eat that whole profiterole pyramid you bought or just always have cheese in your hand."

She must have a hidden camera in my flat somewhere...

12. Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    We don’t have boozy Yule logs here @Amy in the US. it sounds yummy.

13. Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
    I love Sarah Millican! Thanks Beate.xx

14. Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    It's a very good French bakery/restaurant/cafe and I've never eaten anything there, cooked or baked, that wasn't good, but we've never tried their Yule logs. (I don't know if I can type the French term properly.) They had SIX flavours this year to choose from: vanilla, chocolate, cranberry, hazelnut, mocha, and Grand Marnier. Boozy baked goods have to be good...right?

Beate, I don't know that comedienne, but will have to have a look. Cheese!

A Black Forest trifle sounds delish.

I baked some Lebkuchen (well, someone's interpretation of them, at any rate, from a food website called Serious Eats that my food friend J raves about) yesterday and am pondering making the Swiss nut cookies that were so delicious last year, now that I've found the recipe. The Lebkuchen recipe came with strict instructions to let them sit for 24 hours before eating, so at about 7 pm tonight, we will taste them. The little bit from the corner that fell off accidentally into my mouth last night tasted good, so I have high hopes, even if they don't look magazine worthy.

15. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Wishing everyone on TP the best Christmas possible.

card.jpg

16. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Now I know that this is not going to help Amy, but on 30 December More 4 are going to show three of Sarah Millican's stand-up shows from 9pm - 12.15am. :D

17. Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Ooh, Izzy, tartan reindeer! How lovely, and thank you.

18. Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
    Oh yayy!! Amy, please look her up she's hilarious, thanks Beate.

Izzy, a lovely card, thank you.

19. Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    IMG_0807.JPG I'll definitely have a look, and thanks for the tip.

Okay, I made the dough and rolled and cut out the Baumnuss-Guetzli, or Swiss walnut Christmas cookies. They rest for 6 or more hours before they get baked so I wanted to get these done this afternoon. It's still afternoon here…just.

I love this nut grinder.

20. Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    IMG_0808.JPG

The duct tape helps!