Violence.

ronyork

Apr 28, 2015
Hunts
Any views on violence how best to cope, punching ,kicking and scratching, I have tried to pacify saying perhaps (come on lets have a coffee/tea) that makes matters worse. 30 Mins later all is quite normal

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
is it you that is being attacked? walk away until the other person is calm, fix a bolt to the inside of a bedroom door and make sure your mobile phone is handy and charged at all times.

Keep yourself safe at all times.

How often is it happening and to what severity? Is there a trigger?

ronyork

Apr 28, 2015
Hunts
violence

is it you that is being attacked? walk away until the other person is calm, fix a bolt to the inside of a bedroom door and make sure your mobile phone is handy and charged at all times.

Keep yourself safe at all times.

How often is it happening and to what severity? Is there a trigger?

Hi Jessbow, Yes its myself being attacked sometinmes out of the blue The trigger something small I am reading to much to much T.V sometimes helping choose clothes when going out the nearest item is picked op to lash out i.e tea tray remote control library book any thing handy. not to often I am glad to say, also punching and kicking and use of nails. Such is life,

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
*Such is life* is an okay approach until it gets more severe...like you get knocked off your feet with a punch, or scalded by a hot drink that gets launched.

Find yourself a sentence and practice saying it , and mean it.

''I am going into the other room/kitchen /bedroom until you are a bit calmer''

AND do it.

Start now before it escalates- and do mention it to your GP too.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Ron, if you have someone who could film these events, it might be wise to try and catch one or two outbursts on camera during the time it happens and send that to your doctor. However you look upon this, you are currently as vulnerable as your loved one at the moment. Be as wise as you can and get help, at least from your GP.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Talk to your loved one's doctor (the psychiatrist or GP) or Mental health nurse too. It's just possible that tweaking the medication a bit could control the violence. My Mum was less violent and less often violent after her medication was tweaked.

Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
Olanzaprine

Greatly helped my wife. Downside she now has a water retention problem but at least I can go to sleep without needing a stab jacket.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Talk to your loved one's doctor (the psychiatrist or GP) or Mental health nurse too. It's just possible that tweaking the medication a bit could control the violence. My Mum was less violent and less often violent after her medication was tweaked.

I second this. MIL is much less likely to kick or shove or throw things since she has been on Memantine as well as Aricept.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
My hubby has just started talking Memantine for his aggression, it has worked wonders, he is so calm now, hope it lasts☺