Video diary: one year with dementia

Spinning Plates

Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

I've only posted once before, but this forum has been invaluable to me and my Dad over the past year.

Briefly: he had a heart attack in January, got acute confusion in hospital, tried to kill himself, dementia rapidly took over, he threw a fishtank at my Mum and was sectioned, spent five months in a psychiatric unit, then in August I found a nursing home capable of meeting his one-to-one needs.

During the whole year I videoed messages from him to my wife (she was pregnant and we live 100 miles away). He also has cancer which is spreading, and all manner of heart woes, so we didn't know if he'd survive to meet his grandson.

Well, it worked out OK: youtube.com/watch?v=IEUW9T5uerM (sorry, you'll have to paste that into a browser due to the 'rules' :rolleyes:)

The past year has been bloody awful for my Dad, but the thought of his first grandchild being born has kept him going for months.

I hope 2016 brings hope and comfort for you all.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This is absolutely wonderful, thank you for sharing with us xxxxxxxxxxxx A really special Christmas card to TP.
Thank you x

Ozzy71

Nov 23, 2015
Love it! :)Well done to you all on getting through such a year. Best wishes to your lovely dad! Have a great first Christmas with your new son.