Very Early Stages

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
My wife has just started going twice a week to the Local Alzherimers Society and spends the whole day there with another 30 people doing all sorts of things IE Knitting ,games sing songs etc,However although she enjoys going she is probably the least effected of them all and I think the youngest,most of the other folk are a lot older and a lot more advanced so I cant help wondering if that is really helping her .

zeeeb

If she enjoys it, it's good. If it gets her out of the house and into some kind of an activity, it's good.

And as she progresses, it will be so valuable for her, and everyone around her. It's great for all people to have a hobby, dementia or no dementia, and an outlet.

She might be the least affected now, and she might get a feeling that she is able to help others worse off by offering them company. She will surrounded by people who understand dementia and accept if she's having a bad day.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
LOvely advice from zeeeb.

Whatever your wife can do to keep her happy and occupied cannot do anything but help her. There is nothing wrong with the others being older. People of different ages mix well if they have common interests.

I wish my husband would have gone to a group like this. he only wanted to stay at home or go out with me and it really narrowed his life`s experiences.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Plumbrite,

If your wife mentions differences in others being older etc, then let her believe that they need her there helping out. Let her think she is volunteering if necessary. Going to clubs like this are important because if she becomes attached and solely dependent on you, it can cause problems later on. It can mean you become tied to the house because she won't stay with anyone else. If you, say, got sick then she might have to go to respite care for a few days. If she is used to being around different people it can make things like that less stressful for her.

Long may this little bit of independence continue for your wife and for you too.

Fiona