Very basic tablet for mum to watch a film on

Trugman

May 20, 2018
HI
My mum is in a care home. She has dementia. We were looking for a table that she could watch a film on. There is a short film of the family that she likes to watch. If she had a tablet or similar device with just one shortcut icon on the desktop she could probably work that. She could tap the icon and it would just play the film. Literally nothing else is required from it. Just something very simple that could perform that task without throwing up lots of confusing windows or buttons popping up with choices for her to make. That would confuse and stress her out. If it is possible to set something up on a tablet so that is has really really limited functionality is really what we are investigating.
If anyone has found a solution for this it would be great to hear. Or any links to websites that deal with such a thing.
Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My mum is in a care home. She has dementia. We were looking for a table that she could watch a film on. There is a short film of the family that she likes to watch. If she had a tablet or similar device with just one shortcut icon on the desktop she could probably work that. She could tap the icon and it would just play the film. Literally nothing else is required from it. Just something very simple that could perform that task

Consider getting a portable player and putting the video on DVD, USB stick, or SD card as appropriate.
You could build up a library of suitable videos.

Trugman

May 20, 2018
Thanks and thanks for the link. I had a look at some models. I think really even these are too complicated for her to use. The thing I have in mind once it is set up should be able to do this and nothing else really.
Touch the screen to wake it up.
One or two icons are on the desktop.
Touch an icon to play the file. So if it is a picture of her son that little film plays.
Touch screen to pause or stop the playback and to resume.
Thats it really. If a window pops up on screen that requires a response that would not be good so it really needs to be that basic. She has a TV in her room that will take a usb and playback home movies from that but it needs a staff member to initiate the playback. Be nice if she could pick up a tablet or something and easily playback a film.
Thanks again

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Are you sure she will be able to use a touch screen?

You are really asking for some software to do what you want.
You are suggesting a continually running application where touching a blank screen displays the icons you want including an 'off' that puts the device into sleep with a blank screen.

Trugman

May 20, 2018
It is a combination of a device that has no keyboard or a removable keyboard so that accidental commands are not sent. If it was windows or something then a guest user account with absolutey ability to do anything at all except open the single movie file by hitting the icon. It would need to open in full screen and just play the clip with no volume control. It can't be that difficult to achieve.. its basically a music box I guess. If staff turn the power on in the morning then if she picks the device up during the day likely she will bring the device out of sleep and see the icon. I think from that point she could work the touchscreen for the playback. Its basically a music box I guess