very annoyed

laura92

Aug 28, 2007
Bucks
this is goin to be a rant, sorry.

Went with my sister to A+E last night as she suffered concusion after hitting her head. I was asked to leave the premises if i could not control my anger.

Sat in a room with my sister for a good couple of hours, being ignored, i wouldn't mind if the nurses we're busy, but i was listening to a conversation between nurses ( wrong i know ) but all she was talking about was how she couldn't be bothered to be at work. Fine.

Then went on to listen to a doctor turn around and say to a nurse

"if he won't eat shove it down his throat, and if he wants to walk to stoke let him, i'm not in the mood to stop him."
Found it out of order got very annoyed. Anyway went out to find a nurse to find out what was going on with my sister, to find the doctor from the conversation taping her heel, whilst listening to an oldish gentlemen. she then turned walked over to a nurse and went

"he's losing his marbles, what am i ment to do its recorded he ha dementia, so just wait till the morning and send him home, but till them try and keep him in a room, i've got a headache and don't care about whether we're at war."

So me not being able to control my temper any longer told the dr
that i thought she was out of order, and that she has absolutly no right to treat someone like that. Her reply followed if you do not calm down and leave the ward i will be calling security.

So this is just a rant as i'm very annoyed that people with dementia can be talked about like this, with out a care in the world.

Hope all of you and your families are ok.
x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't blame you Laura, I'd be raging as well. It's particularly difficult in the A & E setting becusue they've got all the power and you've got none - they can just toss you out, and it's their word against yours. Is there any point in you writing to the PCT do you think?

laura92

Aug 28, 2007
Bucks
PCT?
I got so angry my mum went and asked to speak to someone high up. And was given some ward sister. She complained and the women said they were stressed and under staffed and the tempers were flering. Sorry i think thats a poor excuse.
Anyway she said she would speak to the DR
x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Primary Care Trust - aka the NHS group that runs the hospital. I just think these things are more likely to change when EVERYONE complains, and the complaints are in writing.

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
this is goin to be a rant, sorry.

Went with my sister to A+E last night as she suffered concusion after hitting her head. I was asked to leave the premises if i could not control my anger.

Sat in a room with my sister for a good couple of hours, being ignored, i wouldn't mind if the nurses we're busy, but i was listening to a conversation between nurses ( wrong i know ) but all she was talking about was how she couldn't be bothered to be at work. Fine.

Then went on to listen to a doctor turn around and say to a nurse

"if he won't eat shove it down his throat, and if he wants to walk to stoke let him, i'm not in the mood to stop him."
Found it out of order got very annoyed. Anyway went out to find a nurse to find out what was going on with my sister, to find the doctor from the conversation taping her heel, whilst listening to an oldish gentlemen. she then turned walked over to a nurse and went

"he's losing his marbles, what am i ment to do its recorded he ha dementia, so just wait till the morning and send him home, but till them try and keep him in a room, i've got a headache and don't care about whether we're at war."

So me not being able to control my temper any longer told the dr
that i thought she was out of order, and that she has absolutly no right to treat someone like that. Her reply followed if you do not calm down and leave the ward i will be calling security.

So this is just a rant as i'm very annoyed that people with dementia can be talked about like this, with out a care in the world.

Hope all of you and your families are ok.
x
laura why on earth did you not take this further i cant believe profesional people would talk like that i work with dementia patients and they are treated with the greatest repesct they are well cared for.dolly gee

laura92

Aug 28, 2007
Bucks
i didnt know how,
and who's gonna listen honestly listen.
I'm 15 years old, they're proffesional people. trying to stop its like trying to stop war i don't have the authority to.
but i am going to write a letter of complaint to the hospital.
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
PCT?
the women said they were stressed and under staffed and the tempers were flering. x
Laura, I`m sorry you witnessed such disrespect.

I would do as suggested and put in a formal letter of complaint. If these people were so stressed and understaffed, they wouldn`t have time to stand around chatting.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
I have spoken to a good friend of mine tonite,who i training to be a nurse.she has encountered some horiffic situations in her 2 days there.can we cut the nurses some slack here,they abide by government guidelines,elainex

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
On this issue as reported by Laura - no I don't think we can cut them some slack. I have no doubt that some people work under dreadful conditions, and that's wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right. I fully support fair pay and decent working conditions, but for people to take out their dissatisfaction on the most vulnerable members of society, the sick and/or elderly - that can't be acceptable in a civilized society.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Laura,

I think that it's really lovely to see one as young as you caring about others, especially the elderly. Unfortunately, the situation you found yourself in, is not uncommon when it comes to the elderly, sad but true. Obviously you feel very strong about this issue and as others have suggested put it in writing.

The comments from the Dr were disgraceful. Regards Taffy.

laura92

Aug 28, 2007
Bucks
Thank you for all the advice.
I do understand they were under stress, and lack of staff was an issue but its still out of order.
Its as if the take there authority for granted,
Thank you for the help
All my love Laura
x

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hi, Laura
I have just read your thread with my 11 yr old daughter, and was disgusted with what you had to witness, but not surprised. When Mum was in hospital, we heard some nurses talking all the time to people with dementia like dirt and that was in front of us. But then you would find very special nurses who were absoulutely wonderful,and treated the patients with the dignity and respect that they deserved! We would just like to say, Good on you, for what you did, you should be proud of yourself.
Hope your Mum, sister and yourself are keeping well.
Take care, Nicky and Kirbyxxx