Verbal aggression

DPee

Sep 24, 2022
The care home staff have said she shouts at them sometimes. I do understand that dementia makes people say odd things. She is probably very frustrated too because she can't do anything for herself now and may be lashing out at us because of it. I will talk to her GP and see if there's anything that can help her to be happier. Thank you for advice.
Yep, had this a lot with my mum.
There's a drug called Trazodone which is an anti-depressant type medication. It also acts as a sedative and is, at least in part, effective for agitation in Alzheimer patients. Also helps with disturbed sleep patterns.
No doubt this may be considered as a possible remedy to some of the above....I was told by care home staff that 'it helps' so maybe it could be prescribed or considered dependent on how agitated she gets.

goose64

Aug 2, 2022
It's part of dementia I'm afraid. This week I was held hostage by my mother-in-law. Every time I moved she told me to sit down and if I tried to talk to her she told me to shut up,beven when she was calling for her mum as she needed a wee. The door was physically blocked by her Zimmer frame.

Luckily my daughter came home and managed to deal with her. I can laugh about it now but it was scary at the time.