1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Verbal aggression - no sign tonight

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by ChrisD, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Registered User

Jul 22, 2007
    Hampshire
    I had a phone call from my mum tonight (shock, horror), the first one for months, and she didn't shout at me once. I think the heart-felt letter I sent her prompted a call. We talked about 20 minutes and although the gas cooker did come into the conversation she didn't call me any horrid names once. John and I are going over to the Island to see her tomorrow for a couple of hours. Am still shaking an hour later. I used to shake after previous conversations with her but at least I am smiling this time. Long may it last.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Well done Chris.
    Just because someone has Alzheimers, doesn`t mean they are beyond reach.
    Love xx

3. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Wow, that's progress, Chris!

Good luck with the visit tomorrow, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Love,

4. Taffy

Taffy Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    Hi Cris, I am really happy for you. Hopefully this maybe the start to better times ahead. I hope so anyway. Best of Luck. Regards Taffy. :) :)

5. Mameeskye

Mameeskye Registered User

Aug 9, 2007
    NZ
    Chris

That is good. It can be so difficult. I know how nasty my MUm was to me in the early days.

Hope it continues

Mameeskye

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Registered User

Jul 22, 2007
    Hampshire
    Went to see Mum today. All went well. It was a bit like treading on eggshells but there was no mention of the gas cooker. I read a report in the carers notes from yesterday where the carer had said to mum that she felt she ought to ring me, having seen the letter that I wrote. Mum had said there was no way she would forgive me for the cooker, even though she had it in writing that I was not involved in it being switched off, and she would definitely not ring me ever again. She must have had a change of heart after the carer left, and she did ring. At least I feel that I can probably ring her now without the verbal abuse. The Social Worker is visiting her Friday to discuss the cooker, or some other means of cooking, so it may all change again. I still feel there is quite a way to go but at least progress has been made.

7. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It cartainly has Chris. Good for you.

Love xx