Vehicle suggestions

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Check out used mobility cars for sale - after 3 years of use they usually end up on the 2nd hand market and there are quite a few dealers out there. Google ex-mobility vehicles and you may find a dealer near you.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
When we took our father out we used a picnic rug with a waterproof backing for the car seat. Didn't look hospitally and saved frayed nerves. It also can go up the seat and stop urine going down the gap at the back.

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
At Mum's dementia café today, one lady in a wheelchair was collected in a Nissan Xtrail. The whole back opened into a ramp/lift. She was wheeled onto the flat lift at road level and then it elevated. The lower 'bumper' folded up and the tailgate down. Brilliant! Once in the lady was in the middle of the back seat so had a great view too. Much better than my car, a Subaru Legacy Estate - plenty of room for a wheelchair but the door sills are far too wide. I bought a Halfords foam booster seat for Mum so at least the passenger seat is higher.

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
I have a Nissan note,the older ones 06-09 are very roomy and back seats fold away to leave large boot big enough for wheelchair etc,also seats are quite tall from ground..

Moog

Jan 8, 2017
Kent. UK
Here's a link to a Nissan Xtrail with the ramp. Very neat and means you have all-weather capability and don't have to drive a Postman Pat van - https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMzWDgwMA==/z/jxIAAOSw4UtWTQSd/$_86.JPG

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
It's really good to see lots of ideas here for me too. I've been thinking of a replacement car, one that can take teenagers as well as Mum. My car is an old Volvo estate and coming up for MOT which I'd be surprised if it passes! I've stopped taking Mum out at the moment as even with a glide sheet it has been hard to get her in and out of the car for a few years now - not just mobility but her working out how to do it even with lots of help. When I asked advice from the OTs they said they don't advise on this but 'here's a website'! So, what to look for? I think maybe a WAV is the future as far as Mum is concerned, but am worried that a wheelchair may not be supportive enough for a car journey. Does anyone have experience for this?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think if your mother is comfortable and OK in a wheelchair she will be OK in a wheelchair that is securely strapped into a vehicle. You might want to get a head restraint if the wheelchair doesn't already have one.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I think if your mother is comfortable and OK in a wheelchair she will be OK in a wheelchair that is securely strapped into a vehicle. You might want to get a head restraint if the wheelchair doesn't already have one.

Presumably the PWD is strapped into the wheelchair (3 point harness?) and then the wheelchair itself is strapped down. Quite a lot of work from the sounds of it.

Also 'presumably' the wheelchair itself has to be suitable?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Honestly, after a few goes it's very quick and easy. I suppose you might need to seek advice as to whether your wheelchair was suitable but we had never had any worries about ours. We did buy and fit a head restraint (v expensive) to emulate those that now come as standard with car seats.

gwb67

Jan 8, 2017
Plymouth, Devon
Mum is advanced (stage 6?) Alzheimers. Quite mobile. Gets into a Suzuki Jeep with a little help....but cannot manage a Ford Fiesta because the seats are low.

I need to think about another vehicle....current one on last legs.

What are other people using?

I managed to take my 90yr Dad out in my Mini the other day which we didn't think we'd be able to. I used the padded seat cushion from the car home to make it a bit higher for him. He was comfortable but obviously it's not ideal but the cushion idea did help.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I just want to recommend the car grab bar often called the Handy Bar. It fits in the metal U in the door frame and as soon as you push on it the counterbalance locks it in place. When the passenger is in/out of the car you take it out and pop it in the door pocket.

We call ours 'the magic gadget' it was literally life-changing. My mother had an amazing Occupational Therapist after a stroke. The OT came and did an entire training session for getting in and out of my car. She turned us on to it.