VE Day celebrations in lockdown.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Lovely, thanks Izzy. I’ll see if I can get mum to watch it tomorrow x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
As well as the televised celebrations Poppy Scotland and Legion Scotland will be broadcasting an online service of remembrance and a virtual VE Day concert -

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you Izzy, as one who remembers the time well, I celebrate with a touch of sadness too. The war in the Far East continued.

I do celebrate the fact that people were ready for a better world and carried on to make that happen, I hope Lockdown will focus minds again to what is needed now.
The signs are there.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you Izzy, as one who remembers the time well, I celebrate with a touch of sadness too. The war in the Far East continued.

I do celebrate the fact that people were ready for a better world and carried on to make that happen, I hope Lockdown will focus minds again to what is needed now.
The signs are there.
?♥

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m watching the service from St Giles in Edinburgh just now - no congregation of course. I believe similar services are planned for VJ Day. ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh my goodness. A lone piper leading the carrying of the wreath down the Royal mile. It was a beautiful commemoration!!!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Always gives me goose bumps when I see and hear a lone piper play Flowers of the Forest. I still remember gran telling me about when the war ended and how everyone celerbrated in the hope of a better future. Thanks for sharing @Izzy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Always gives me goose bumps when I see and hear a lone piper play Flowers of the Forest. I still remember gran telling me about when the war ended and how everyone celerbrated in the hope of a better future. Thanks for sharing @Izzy

I agree -

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I love the guitar playing on that, Izzy. His version of The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily is worth a listen too.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I love the guitar playing on that, Izzy. His version of The 51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily is worth a listen too.

Oh Rob! Someone else who knows that song!!!! Hardly anyone I talk to knows it. It is one of my absolute favourites! You know what’s going to happen now. I’m off to look for it! If I remember his version is sung very very slowly!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The Dick Gaughan version. I prefer this but the first one has good film footage.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Oh Rob! Someone else who knows that song!!!! Hardly anyone I talk to knows it. It is one of my absolute favourites! You know what’s going to happen now. I’m off to look for it! If I remember his version is sung very very slowly!
I heard him in a folk club in Wolverhampton a long time ago, Izzy and found that song on his Prentice Piece compilation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It’s a song my brother and my two nephews used to sing. It is so evocative.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for all the videos Izzy. I managed to get mum in the garden for a while, took my iPad and she hummed and clapped along and watched some news reels.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The Dick Gaughan version. I prefer this but the first one has good film footage.

Tthanks for posting this, first time I have heard it and wow. I was sat watching the flames on my BBQ and got lost listening to this. Its a great pity we couldn't celerbrate VE day today in the way it should have been celerbrated and remembered.