VAT tax relief

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I want to buy some shoes for mum who, as well as having mobility problems from her Alz, has very swollen feet and ankles from heart failure/kidney failure (not sure which is causing the problem).
Does anyone know whether she would be eligible for VAT tax relief?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Depends whether the shoes are just a large size from a normal supplier or some kind of special shoe from a supplier of items for disabled people.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
They say that they give VAT tax relief, but I wasnt sure if mum is eligible. Ive gone for this company as mum cant get normal shoes (even wide ones ) on. Its the first time I have done this. Do you know what makes someone eligible?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If, as you say, her feet are swollen as a result of 'heart failure/kidney failure' and not just large feet I would consider VAT exemption to be appropriate.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
They say that they give VAT tax relief, but I wasnt sure if mum is eligible. Ive gone for this company as mum cant get normal shoes (even wide ones ) on. Its the first time I have done this. Do you know what makes someone eligible?

This site says disabled or long term illness.

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

It's long term illness I have used when ordering stuff for Bill. Usually I have just had to put Alzheimers on an online form and tick the appropriate box at check out.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If it's cosyfeet, which I suspect it is, you simply state it as you go through the check-out. There's a drop-down which has various conditions listed (including other) but in your place I would select oedema (which means swelling, and which applies here).