VAT free building?

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
I am looking to build an annexe for my father. Have submitted the application (although it's come back again with multiple things to be corrected... grrrr...) but I am vaguely aware that building works for disabled people is not subject to VAT. Is this true and if so, how does one go about not paying or claiming back the VAT?

Edit: think I found the answer here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-rel...-you-have-a-disability#building-work-vat-free

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hope that answers your question
maybe your architect/builder have experience of this ... worth checking with them ... and even asking the LA if they have any help to offer

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
It's been approved, hurrah! Let's hope we can find someone who can actually do the building in this lockdown...

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
It's been approved, hurrah! Let's hope we can find someone who can actually do the building in this lockdown...
Good news! I would have thought there would be some . They can do the 2m outside no problem I would have thought.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
We converted our garage and added an extension for mum in 2017; OH and I paid for it but does anyone know, could we have claimed back the VAT / can we claim VAT retrospectively?

Thank you @spandit for putting the idea into our heads.

(And TP members, you have opened our eyes and given us so much advice when we have needed it / need it still).

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Thanks for the info Spandit.
Waiting for planning permission to convert our garage into a ground floor bedroom and wet room. This could really be of some benefit to us. Was aware that disabled equipment could be VAT free but not that some building work was included as well ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew