Vascular surgery need help!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good morning chick see you are an early bird today. Not surprising with all the things you need to think about and the decisions you need to make. Hope you find some comfort from the support of us lot on T P and those around you. Shame you are so far away or I would be down to see you. G L

Hey, thank you GL :) I am sure it will all work out somehow but it was an unsuspected shock. Got Admiral nurse today but to be honest don't feel like it at all:( think I am best left alone to get my head round things and with enablement not happening , I don't feel much like talking to her. Sounds kinda rude but don't mean it like that. Hope Maureen has recovered from the perfume incident yesterday ? You are a very good friend x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning chick.

I`m sorry to hear yet more worry for you. I do hope the medics can give you the best advice to help you make a decision.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your OH. My Mom, 76, has the same problem in the left leg. :( She had her third CT scan yesterday as they think there is now also a problem with her adrenal glands.

The scans have revealed 3 blockages. Have seen 2 consultants so far who have both been excellent and have explained things clearly and easy to understand.

Mom was given the same two options as your OH, bypass or amputation plus the option of doing nothing at all apart from managing any pain.

Making her VasD even worse and losing what little is left of her with any type of operation was my main concern to which they both agreed. So at the moment nothing is been done.

I wish you and your OH well.:)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your OH. My Mom, 76, has the same problem in the left leg. :( She had her third CT scan yesterday as they think there is now also a problem with her adrenal glands.

The scans have revealed 3 blockages. Have seen 2 consultants so far who have both been excellent and have explained things clearly and easy to understand.

Mom was given the same two options as your OH, bypass or amputation plus the option of doing nothing at all apart from managing any pain.

Making her VasD even worse and losing what little is left of her with any type of operation was my main concern to which they both agreed. So at the moment nothing is been done.

I wish you and your OH well.:)

Thank you very much for your comments . We haven't got the option to leave it as the leg will go and die and my OH is only 65 . He still has capacity so decision will be hard ones

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
I really feel for you with so many difficult decisions to make. Please do write down all your questions and concerns prior to attending the consultation with the vascular surgeon. This helps you to not leave anything out in the moment when you feel stressed and anxious. Also, is it possible for your daughter to go with you to give you moral support? I do hope that the best possible decision will be able to be made. Epidurals can be used for amputation of toes and knee replacements but I don't know whether the patient has to be relied upon to remain still or not. The person I knew did not have a dementia.
As far as reablement goes, can you appeal and could an advocate from ageuk, cab or Alzheimers soc help you. You need this as deprivation of sleep is so debilitating. Do see the Admiral nurse-this is the time where you need her most and she should see how you are feeling and will be most helpful to you. It is when you feel at your lowest that they are apparently a godsend. My very best wishes go to you and John for the best decisions to be made.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I really feel for you with so many difficult decisions to make. Please do write down all your questions and concerns prior to attending the consultation with the vascular surgeon. This helps you to not leave anything out in the moment when you feel stressed and anxious. Also, is it possible for your daughter to go with you to give you moral support? I do hope that the best possible decision will be able to be made. Epidurals can be used for amputation of toes and knee replacements but I don't know whether the patient has to be relied upon to remain still or not. The person I knew did not have a dementia.
As far as reablement goes, can you appeal and could an advocate from ageuk, cab or Alzheimers soc help you. You need this as deprivation of sleep is so debilitating. Do see the Admiral nurse-this is the time where you need her most and she should see how you are feeling and will be most helpful to you. It is when you feel at your lowest that they are apparently a godsend. My very best wishes go to you and John for the best decisions to be made.

Thank you Oxy at the moment I have to wait for the options when we see the vascular surgeons. I think it's the hardest when you know it's serious but have to wait for the appointment ! It just goes all around in your head the what ifs ! Johns only 65 and still has capacity but not sure how much he understands this situation ! He also has blockages in his neck arteries but they decided to wait until it becomes absolutely necessary but by then his capacity could be gone?! Like you said all very difficult x

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thank you very much for your comments . We haven't got the option to leave it as the leg will go and die and my OH is only 65 . He still has capacity so decision will be hard ones

Yes I thought the age may make a difference. I didn't realise they had told you that the leg will die. :(
With Mom that is obviously something that can happen however the consultants did say that with proper monitoring it should be able to be picked up in time and still perform the by-pass.

Even with the by pass operation taking place now they were very confident of complete success and circulation restored. (Normal risks of surgery excluded of course).

Good Luck.:)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Yes I thought the age may make a difference. I didn't realise they had told you that the leg will die. :(
With Mom that is obviously something that can happen however the consultants did say that with proper monitoring it should be able to be picked up in time and still perform the by-pass.

Even with the by pass operation taking place now they were very confident of complete success and circulation restored. (Normal risks of surgery excluded of course).

Good Luck.:)

Thanks Pete it's already 50 % less blood flow going through the leg and he is in real pain too bless him . Therefore mobility is compromised . Taking hope from your comments though

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The balloon thingy is the stent, did they not leave it in because your husband wouldn't let them? A stent usually stays in place and is supposed to work quite well, but it only lasts about a couple of years if you smoke.
The 'balloon thingy' is not the stent. It's what they use during an angioplasty when they inflate the tubing they put up the artery to stretch it.

On the other hand a stent is what the use to place inside the artery to keep it open. It is then left there. It is done when the angioplasty has failed.
I can't speak for other people but in my husband's case, they were done as separate procedures. He had a number of these inserted as he had Peripheral Artery disease for about 20 years.

A by-pass is a more serious operation and my husband had these in both his legs and both with a general anaesthetic. They did help a lot for some time but eventually, after a number of years, I'm afraid he had an emergency amputation at upper thigh level as he had an ulcer on his foot. I asked why it could be a less radical amputation but the consultant said his bloodflow was so poor that it would not work.
I cannot imagine that this would be carried out any other way that by general anaesthetic. That was four and a half years ago.

Only months previously we had been told that the flow was sufficient enough for him to have a hip replacement. Needless to say, he never had the replacement.

It was a dreadful shock but it's surprising how well we all cope when a crisis occurs.
Just take it a day at a time. I sincerely hope the outcome for your husband will be kinder. The very best of luck.

cold feet

Nov 19, 2010
Essex
Hi Chick.
I'm not saying this to scare you off, and sorry if I sound brutal, but please ask the surgeon to talk about possible mental health after effects, and what support is on offer post discharge.

My OH (he does not have dementia, AD or other health problems, but I cant imagine how hard this would have been for a dementia sufferer) had a bypass 18 months ago due to a 95 % blockage. He had what they called minimally invasive surgery, which in volved a small 5" incision between the ribs rather than the full open up the ribs job, so a much shorter stay in hospital. His surgery was fully successful, but what they didn't tell us is how common it is that people suffer mental health issues after surgery. My OH went in to a full suicidal depression after his surgery, which took him some 6 months to recover from. Apparently a significant proportion of vascular surgery patients face mental health problems after, but all the surgeon talked about was that after the op he would be able to run a marathon.

I hope your appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.
Best wishes.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
The 'balloon thingy' is not the stent. It's what they use during an angioplasty when they inflate the tubing they put up the artery to stretch it.

On the other hand a stent is what the use to place inside the artery to keep it open. It is then left there. It is done when the angioplasty has failed.
I can't speak for other people but in my husband's case, they were done as separate procedures. He had a number of these inserted as he had Peripheral Artery disease for about 20 years.

A by-pass is a more serious operation and my husband had these in both his legs and both with a general anaesthetic. They did help a lot for some time but eventually, after a number of years, I'm afraid he had an emergency amputation at upper thigh level as he had an ulcer on his foot. I asked why it could be a less radical amputation but the consultant said his bloodflow was so poor that it would not work.
I cannot imagine that this would be carried out any other way that by general anaesthetic. That was four and a half years ago.

Only months previously we had been told that the flow was sufficient enough for him to have a hip replacement. Needless to say, he never had the replacement.

It was a dreadful shock but it's surprising how well we all cope when a crisis occurs.
Just take it a day at a time. I sincerely hope the outcome for your husband will be kinder. The very best of luck.

Oh Saffie such kind words thank you! John has also Pad disease . It's more complicated as the blockage is just under the aota in stomach just before it splits into the iliac hence the left leg , hip and buttocks are affected ! I hope the outcome will somehow be good but I am not sure if anything at the moment . Much love to you xxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi Chick.
I'm not saying this to scare you off, and sorry if I sound brutal, but please ask the surgeon to talk about possible mental health after effects, and what support is on offer post discharge.

My OH (he does not have dementia, AD or other health problems, but I cant imagine how hard this would have been for a dementia sufferer) had a bypass 18 months ago due to a 95 % blockage. He had what they called minimally invasive surgery, which in volved a small 5" incision between the ribs rather than the full open up the ribs job, so a much shorter stay in hospital. His surgery was fully successful, but what they didn't tell us is how common it is that people suffer mental health issues after surgery. My OH went in to a full suicidal depression after his surgery, which took him some 6 months to recover from. Apparently a significant proportion of vascular surgery patients face mental health problems after, but all the surgeon talked about was that after the op he would be able to run a marathon.

I hope your appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.
Best wishes.

I do know Cold feet that's why these decisions will be so very hard as its worse with AD ! Hence why I am so worried and weight down wish I would not have to face this but thank you for being so frank and it's really appreciated xx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Saffie, I just read your brilliant response, which cleared everything up for me. I didn't think they'd left anything in my hubby's leg; it was just a procedure they used to try and open up a vein.

Really appreciate that.

Heike: How are you? I came here especially to check on you.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi chick glad you are getting lots of responses to your thread. Look after yourself. G L

Oh GL just had letter from MRI scan neck!!! Shows narrowing of spine !!! Transferred to kings college in London!!! As John needs operation?! This can't be made up can it???? Totally stressed. Com now

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Oh GL just had letter from MRI scan neck!!! Shows narrowing of spine !!! Transferred to kings college in London!!! As John needs operation?! This can't be made up can it???? Totally stressed. Com now

Heike, I've just looked that up. Did they call it spinal stenosis? That can cause horrible nerve pain, which is very uncomfortable. I was never told fully what was wrong with my spine. You need to speak to your GP and get the lowdown, for your own peace of mind.

The last thing you need right now is us lot looking on the Internet.

Phone your GP.