Vascular Dementia

sonia owen

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of you have ever noticed that the person who suffers with the Vascular Dementia, has a few dizzy turns. This could be over a few weeks. Then they have a TIA which can result in a fall along with a kind of blackout even if its for a few seconds or even a little longer.
I think this happens with our mum. The way things seem to go. She should be ok for awhile after the last fall in her flat last month. Will have to take note from now on, for any of the warning signs hopeful for next time. Have the OT coming today to see if there is anything else we can do to keep her safe living in her sheltered flat.
Thanks
Love Sonia xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My mum used to have what she called "the spinnies" and then a bit later become quite wobbly on her feet and the next day she would have a quiet day

This was put down as having a low blood pressure, but now you mentioning what happens to your mum, I'm wondering if my mum was having a TIA (A transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke" )

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Mum used to have dizzy spells a few years ago, especially when she was bending down weeding the garden although it could happen at any time. This was before she was diagnosed and her well-meaning GP gave her exercises to do which were supposed to help with co-ordination - catching a ball, touching her nose with her eyes closed etc. Obviously she didn't keep them up. NOW of course I realise it was the indicator of what was to come.... and possibly the initial cause, although she also had a triple heart bipass 20 years ago so, with hindsight, it was always on the cards (if only we'd known as much back then as we do now).

Mum is now in the mid stages of Vascular Dementia and often wobbles a bit when she walks. It's hard to keep an eye on her as I am often helping Dad to walk as he has Vascular Parkinsonism and is barely mobile. Sometimes Mum insists on helping Dad by holding his arm :eek: She dotes on him and seems better when she is focussed on him, even though she sometimes nearly pulls him over... they both have conditions originating from the same cause yet the results are sooo different. Mum drives Dad crazy most days and it's a real drain on him when he's already struggling to cope with his deteriorating mobility.

Very worrying. Oh and I was in their garden a few days ago and felt myself swerving to the right and nearly fell over... hadn't even had a drink at the time. :rolleyes: I can see myself going the same way. :( Mum or Dad? Maybe both. I won't be able to walk anywhere but it's ok because I won't remember why I want to go there... then again maybe my liver will pack up well before then anyway.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Both my mother and my grandmother (neither was a clear diagnosis) have/had dementia and almost constant dizziness. Many doctors have been consulted but no cause has been found.

Kezzamac

Apr 28, 2015
Somerset
My Mil has mixed dementia - vascular and Alzheimer's. She has lots of dizzy spells, especially when she stands up. The doctor said to make sure she stands up slowly, but she forgets! She has been very unsteady on her feet this last week and to make things worse she has a cataract. So she can't see much! We have now been waiting for over a month for any response from the hospital about an appointment for this :mad:

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
My mum went through a phase with dizziness, TIA's and falls. She is always unsteady on her feet but the falls and TIA's have stopped for about 4 months now funnily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel Day