Vascular Dementia

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh yes Tom, not looking after themselves, not washing/showering/bathing, not brushing their hair, or shaving, or changing their clothes is a standard problem with dementia.
Often they are resistant to anyone helping them and usually claim to have already done these things when it is obvious that they havent.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Good morning,
Would someone with Vascular Dementia, ever have trouble cleaning them-self etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

yes i found when my MIL first moved in with us she did not change her clothes and if she had her way keep them on for 2 weeks. i now lay out her clean clothes every night before she goes to bed if i do it to early she will put them away again

catbells

Jun 14, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Yes. My Mum had cardio-vascular mixed dementia and yes, slowly but surely I began to notice she wasn`t showering (she lived independently in a sheltered scheme), when I became aware of major problems, she would dress in winter clothes in the summer, and sometimes I found her in bed ready to go out, so expect the unexpected! later we had to move her as she was wandering, toileting became a problem too as incontinence started. She resisted help, but carers had to intervene for hygiene reasons, she wasn`t happy, but she wasn`t agressive, she couldn`t do anything about it. She maintained a happy demeanour throughout her illness. Hope this helps you. You find you have to "go with the flow". Initailly I couldn`t reason with Mum. When she was still capable of making a cup of tea and when visiting she would have a cup of tea and TWO cakes ready for me, (I took her shopping each week) and I had to eat them, she would keep on about yes please eat them ....but then one step ahead I started encouraging her to buy weightwatchers cakes, so felt a bit more comfortable carrying out what she wanted - a cup of tea and TWO cakes before tea with my husband.
Bye for now
Take care
Heather x