Vascular dementia

Trishee

Jul 2, 2021
My husband who has vascular dementia has certain fixations at the moment which he wont let go. The latest one is wanting to travel (flight) to see some of his siblings he hasn't seen for years; he wants some major work done on the house; he wants to get a new mobile and landline phone as the ones he has don't work!! He gets so frustrated. They two latter have been there for some time but not forgotten. I listen and then quietly walk away.
Any suggestions on how to manage this constant repetition welcome. Thanks.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Trishee I’m glad to see you posting on the forum, I would say you are handling the situation very well.. it sounds as if you have the patience to deal with it for the moment..I hope you can continue to do so!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Trishee listening and walking away is a good strategy. I also found, with my dad, that if I told him I would sort out whatever his latest obsession was it was sometimes enough for him to let it go. We had the phone obsession. We also had an obsession about driving to France (triggered by holiday ads) - he hadn’t driven for years!

I became very good at prevaricating…

TrevWen

Jun 28, 2022
My husband who has vascular dementia has certain fixations at the moment which he wont let go. The latest one is wanting to travel (flight) to see some of his siblings he hasn't seen for years; he wants some major work done on the house; he wants to get a new mobile and landline phone as the ones he has don't work!! He gets so frustrated. They two latter have been there for some time but not forgotten. I listen and then quietly walk away.
Any suggestions on how to manage this constant repetition welcome. Thanks.
Hi Trishee my wife went through same fixation on things also phobia like house on fire or flooding etc. I got mental health on board with psychiatrist and they prescribed olanzapain for phobia and doneprezil for dementia and occasionally used colanzapane for pannic attacks.
My wife has stabilized now took from January to around may 2022 before she stabilized. Get diagnosed by psychiatrist and correct medication lots of doctors are not specialized in Damentia so they guess a lot.
Thanks TrevWen