Vascular dementia

CarolineMerrett

Oct 29, 2020
Thank you for letting me join this group.
My Mother is 95 in February and has only just been diagnosed with vascular dementia. I have suspected this for some time but there seems to have been a reluctance to clarify or admit that she had it. I found out by chance when a career came in after many worrying symptoms, and she spotted on a discharge form from hospital, in tiny letters Vascular Dementia. It seems her family doctor was not told. Her Symptoms as of today are, Delusions, paranoia, Slurred speech. She’s doubly incontinent. she stopped taking all her medication, a few months ago, after a previous hospital stay. They said as she is compos mantis she can make her own decisions. She lives alone. Has any one else had similar experience?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @CarolineMerrett and a welcome to Dementia Talking Point from me too. My mother has vascular dementia, and I'm pretty sure my mother in law, though not officially diagnosed, has it too. They are both in their nineties, my mum is in a care home and my MiL, like your mum, is still at home.
Does your mother have regular help coming in? At the moment MiL is cared for by two of her children in the main. This has worked well for years, but she has declined a lot in the last few months and could really do with either a live in carer or being in a care home. It certainly sounds as though your mother is at a similar stage and even if she has a few visits a day this won't help as accidents and falls happen when they happen not necessarily when carers are there. As @Cat27 says I'd send her GP a bullet pointed list of your concerns and ask that they access your mother. You can also ask social services for a needs assessment. If your mother is anything like my mum or my MiL trying to get help in is going to make you seem like the villain of the piece, but it will be in her best interests.
Do you have power of attorney for finance and health and welfare. If you do this will make organising extra help or maybe a move to a care home easier. If not it sounds like it might be too late you might have to apply for deputyship.
I'm sure other people will be along with their suggestions and experiences too. This is a friendly community and you'll get loads of advice and support here. It might be useful to have a look at other posts. Typing vascular dementia into the search bar should bring up other threads on the topic. If you haven't seen this already this fact sheet might be useful too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil