Vascular dementia

Fluffy pom pom

Jul 21, 2019
Hi can anyone help, mom in law been diagnosed with vascular Dementia but her husband I think is in denial as he keeps asking family members what's wrong with her! And saying hasn't had GP diagnosis we're worried for him. Mom in-law has lost half her body weight in 12-18 months about 14 stone.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi can anyone help, mom in law been diagnosed with vascular Dementia but her husband I think is in denial as he keeps asking family members what's wrong with her! And saying hasn't had GP diagnosis we're worried for him. Mom in-law has lost half her body weight in 12-18 months about 14 stone.

Hello you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Unfortunately the situation you describe is all too common. You should get support and advice here so ask any questions at any time.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Fluffy pom pom
a warm welcome to DTP
What a worry for you
does your mom in law's GP know about her weight loss; it sounds as though something is not right with her eating .. do let the GP know exactly what the situation is, they may not be able to discuss her health with you but must take note of information from family
it may be that her husband is stressed and simply not taking in the information, or doesn't understand the explanation he's been given, or indeed is so stunned that he's in denial ... maybe he will settle in time ... it would do no harm to let his GP know you are concerned ... maybe the GP could invite him for a 'well man' check up and have a chat with him

you might also contact their Local Authority Adult Services (assuming they are in the UK) and arrange an assessment of your mil's care needs ... a care package might be put in place eg home care visits, day care ...to give them some support with daily living