Vascular dementia - is there anything different / important to know?

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Thanks. I am adjusting. In some ways it seems unfair because other people take years to get to this stage.
But then you may find they stay at that stage much longer than is usual for others.

My mother appeared to go from an 'occasionally unsure person' so possibly stage 1/2, to stage 5 seemingly almost overnight. But then spent years dipping between stages 4 and 5 and then did a big step down, again almost overnight, after several falls and a hospital stay to the latter stages of stage 6. In fact during her stay in hospital she seemed to dip into Stage 7 unable even to tell the Drs her own name or do anything for herself? :rolleyes: o_O Moved rapidly through stage 6 and early stages of 7 within a matter of months and then stayed at stage 7d for around 3 years.

tony truro

Apr 23, 2018
Very quickly is how it happened! She went from no apparent Dementia symptoms to stage 4 and some of 5 overnight. Unusual apparently but not unheard of. So my circumstances are different to most. Only one other person on the forum had something similar. Very sad as most people take a few years to get to the stage we are at.

She understood we couldn't cope. I work shifts full time 24/7. We agreed between us that a care home was best. We are self funding so I just went round care homes that were appropriate and covered everything we wanted. She visited and liked it. They assessed her and said they would take her. She appears appropriately placed. A few are at her level others are much worse. I guess we were fortunate that she readily agreed.she hated being on her own when I went out. She understood in a home she would never be left alone.

No diagnosis as of yet but GP, Occupational therapist, Social Worker all agree it is dementia. I am told Vascular dementia is the only one that comes on so quick. One professional also suggested it might not be worth putting her through all the tests as all you get is a diagnosis.

It was heart breaking for us all. My mum has lived with us for twenty years.
your on a rollercoaster. This is exactly what it's like for me my wife had lots of Tia and a stroke. She had a bypass of her carotid arteries. She now only has one feeding both sides of her brain. The operation was a success no more Tia but the damage is done diagnosed vascular dementia mid stage .She can be normal somdays but night time comes and she's getting angry pacing up and down all night the consultant says she is in a big step down. Hopefully she will level out I hope she's only 65 .And to see it all unfolding breaking my heart. They call it the sundowning phase. Talk soon Tony. Stay strong x

Carolyn B

Apr 29, 2018
North West
Thanks all. Yes it is a good description a rollercoaster. I felt like no one I knew had even heard of it being so sudden. She was fine in January and now she's in a Dementia care home. I also felt I was fobbed off at the hospital as they just kept saying it's delerium. I would say the delerium has now passed but the damage caused is still there. It is heart breaking But at least they are still with us.