Vascular dementia and anaesthetic

Angry

Aug 7, 2014
My poor mum (88yrs who has vascular dementia and some days she is absolutely normal) had a fall in the care home and broke her femur and fractured her upper arm. She was 2 hours on the floor waiting for the 999 amulance screaming in agony as she wasn't classed as urgent! Anyway she had to undergo surgery to have plates put in her leg and the surgeon relectantly had to give her anaesthetic for the procedure and said there was a very high risk she wouldn't make it with her other health issues (heart). OMG since the operation is has been horrendous and really distressing to see her. She has really gone downhill with confusion, won't eat, drink, take meds, rips the cancula out, won't let nurses take blood and screams if they try!!! Staff have managed to get an IV in which she can't reach and she see's the staff as the enemy. I have been going from work to try and feed her in the evening which is a battle. She hasn't been mobilised yet as she is too weak but is hoisted into a chair daily. We are now 7 days in and no change to her confusion. I know she will be confused with lack of fluids but has anyone out there had a similar experience with a parent and anaesthetic because I hope to god this set back won't be permanent and made her dementia worse.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Oh No. Your poor poor mum.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, though. My mum had Vas D and several episodes in hospital, but no anaesthetic. She was a nightmare in the ward, but did improve when she returned to her CH. I just hope your mum can too.

How awful for you as well. I was lucky in that I wasn't working and spent most of the day in hospital, trying to keep mum calm. I think it helped a bit. Could you take any time off work? It must be a nightmare trying to work while worrying about your mum.

So sorry.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Angry

I`m really sorry to say general anaesthesia is known to have a detrimental effect on dementia but what else could the doctors have done.

There is no way your mother could have been attended to without anaesthetic and the surgeon did tell you what you might expect.

It`s a really sad situation because it sounds as if there was no alternative.

I do hope this is temporary. I don`t know enough about it to be able to predict.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Angry - you mention lack of fluids. Is this what the IV should be addressing? I believe the technical term for this is post-operative cognitive decline. It is linked to general anaesthetic, but sometimes there is no alternative, as in your mum's case. For your mum to be waiting two hours for an ambulance is disgraceful. It might be worth taking that up via a complaint. As for the consultant - if he approaches to talk in the future, ask him for more privacy. I feel for you.