Vascular damage - no support

Polar Bear

Aug 7, 2014
Hello. My husband has been forgetful for several years now and we have been back and forth to the Memory Clinic. At his last visit, following a CT scan it was confirmed that he has slight vascular damage, but not dementia. We were then discharged!
I feel very much alone and wonder whether there is any support available. My husband still works part time. However, at home, things have deteriorated quite a lot in recent years, with his short term memory being very bad. Inevitably this has an impact on our relationship and life in general. He is also now far more grumpy and short tempered.
I was very surprised that he had been discharged by the memory clinic. So the anticipation is that we just muddle along until he is actually diagnosed with dementia?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Polar Bear
sorry you feel so unsupported - but glad you thought to come on to TP to chat with folk here
I wonder whether you might visit your GP on your own and explain how this is affecting YOU, so that at the very least the GP has a better idea of the whole picture
there might be an Admiral Nurse in your area, they are there to help, and also have a Helpline
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/
and maybe there are some local resources - so here's a link to the main AS site's directory of local services
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20011/find_support_near_you?_ga=2.139333685.721471181.1503062667-213745934.1462100281#!/search
definitely post again with anything that's on your mind as members are sympathetic and supportive

Polar Bear

Aug 7, 2014
Hi
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have spoken to one of our GP's whose response was that life sounded 'pretty good' as we have a couple of holidays booked. So no help there.
I will look at the websites you have provided and take it from there. The problem seems to be that he does not yet officially have dementia. However, having watched his mother-in-law progress to full dementia (she is not in residential accommodation) I would be very surprised if that is not the route he will follow.
So despite the fact that he functions quite well and can hold down a job, we are still feeling the effects of the changes to his brain. It is at times very lonely and quite frightening for both of us. It feels to me as if there is a gap in support for people in this situation.
Sorry to moan as I do appreciate that our situation is in fact very good compared to others.
Thank you again for the details provided.