Vaccine worries

Fatima

Aug 12, 2016
My husband recently had his first covid vaccination. Since then there has been marked deterioration in his behaviour with more hallucinations. Prolonged periods of distress and agitation, and confusion. I appreciate that doctors will say this is just a progression of his Alzheimer’s. But I just wondered if anyone else has seen similar reactions. I am really distressed now and exhausted as so difficult to cope with. He has had the condition for 10 years and we have dealt with all the various symptoms but nothing on this scale. Take care all.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Beware of attributing cause and effect. The fact your husband has been worse recently may have nothing to do with the vaccination. For example, it could be a UTI that is the cause or simply a progression of the dementia.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I had the vaccination two weeks and since then has suffered with really bad headaches and generally feeling terrible. I think if I had Alzheimer's as well I would be a right in the neck. Having said that it has not put me off having the second vaccine.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
If the vaccine was making any form of dementia worse, then I'm sure that care homes would be shouting from the rooftops.
Mum had the AstraZeneca in January and there was no change to her Alzheimer's. We have noticed that she declines when the weather is awful and we're unable to take her out, but she picks up again after a mile or 2 walking in the sunshine. We've put this down to boredom.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi Fatima, I'm sorry to hear your husband isn't too well. You don't say when he had the vaccine - it's not completely unusual to have some side effects for about a week (or in Alex's case, longer. Hope you feel better soon @Alex54 ). My dad had his jab and was more grizzly for about 5 days but is back to normal levels of grizzliness now.

If it's longer than a week or two, perhaps contact your GP to see if there is an underlying cause such as a UTI?

(@My Mum's Daughter - isn't it funny, my dad declines too when the weather's rubbish! I always thought it was coincidence before but it happens so often it must be that.)

Fatima

Aug 12, 2016
Thank you all so much for reply’s. I did ring the doctors today to discuss situation, but was so taken aback when he told me that the medication ,Donepezil and memantine, which he has been on for years for Alzheimer’s, are found to be only effective for two years!!!!!! So his condition will be deteriorating. Got annoyed I was never told this. I also find that sometimes the only relief is going out for long walks , my husband is always content and happy when outdoors.

Ithuriel

May 13, 2018
I too am concerned regarding this matter. My mother (91) and bedbound for nearly 3 years with Alzheimer's reacted very badly to her Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccination. She developed high fever and thus delirium - which as most of us realise is an assault on the brain. Things were so worrying I had to call paramedics out - mum was completely flat out barely conscious and talking non sense deliriously. This passed after 2 and a half days but took a lot longer to recover from and I believe has advanced her cognition further. I am therefore extremely worried regarding the second inoculation in the coming weeks. As a footnote I should report that mum had tested positive for Covid in November 2020 and did not develop any respiratory symptoms but was just very tired for about 2 weeks and I believe the dementia also moved on in this period, though I appreciate that could additionally be attributed to the isolation from others she had to undergo in this period. Sadly our beloved PA Lesley was the one who brought it in from visiting her family, and she tragically died from it 2 weeks later aged only 58. I had to self isolate upstairs and in the small conservatory, underwent 4 tests in this period and was seemingly OK. Social services were called into feed mum, and were pretty dreadful - but that's another story. Anyhow, given that mum may have had some existing anti bodies from her infection in November, perhaps that is why she had such a violent reaction to the first 'jab'. It leaves me extremely concerned and uncertain of what to do when the 2nd comes around in a few weeks - the GP 's were very determined and pressing that she should have it, and no doubt will be gain - but they do not live with the effects and the clear after effects. All comments help suggestions and advice extremely welcome. Thank you

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I have read that people who have previously had COVID tend to get a worse reaction to Astra Zeneca vaccination.
I haven’t had COVID as far as I know, am much younger, and I had chills for about 12 hours and was then just v tired.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My husband basically slept for 2 weeks after his AZ jab. I was beginning to think about him having the second but in the 3rd week he started to pick up and in the 4th was back to his usual self. I put it down to his body taking the easy way out whilst making antibodies.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
I too am concerned regarding this matter. My mother (91) and bedbound for nearly 3 years with Alzheimer's reacted very badly to her Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccination. She developed high fever and thus delirium - which as most of us realise is an assault on the brain. Things were so worrying I had to call paramedics out - mum was completely flat out barely conscious and talking non sense deliriously. This passed after 2 and a half days but took a lot longer to recover from and I believe has advanced her cognition further. I am therefore extremely worried regarding the second inoculation in the coming weeks. As a footnote I should report that mum had tested positive for Covid in November 2020 and did not develop any respiratory symptoms but was just very tired for about 2 weeks and I believe the dementia also moved on in this period, though I appreciate that could additionally be attributed to the isolation from others she had to undergo in this period. Sadly our beloved PA Lesley was the one who brought it in from visiting her family, and she tragically died from it 2 weeks later aged only 58. I had to self isolate upstairs and in the small conservatory, underwent 4 tests in this period and was seemingly OK. Social services were called into feed mum, and were pretty dreadful - but that's another story. Anyhow, given that mum may have had some existing anti bodies from her infection in November, perhaps that is why she had such a violent reaction to the first 'jab'. It leaves me extremely concerned and uncertain of what to do when the 2nd comes around in a few weeks - the GP 's were very determined and pressing that she should have it, and no doubt will be gain - but they do not live with the effects and the clear after effects. All comments help suggestions and advice extremely welcome. Thank you
Giving someone vax on top of natural virus could be too much for a frail person to cope with. The vax providers dont seem to be flagging this up

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My advice would be to write out a risk assessment for her.

If I was doing a risk assessment on my mother who is the same age then my decision would be that she did not have her second jab.

The reason for this is the number of human beings she comes in contact with is so low that when the vaccination roll out is complete I think the risk will be exceptionally low.
Coupled with the fact she will have some immunity from the previous jab and very possibly the Covid infection itself.

The problem with this decision would be that if she did get Covid I would have to live with the guilt ‘ it’s all my fault’ which doesn’t have a lot of appeal. On the other hand if you follow advice and get the second jab done then ‘ it’s all my fault, I knew this would happen’ is most likely coming your way.

One year I became very unwell within hours of having a flu jab. Common sense tells me it was just coincidental, But I don’t look forward to my flu jabs now, That’s
for sure.

I had Covid. I left a 90 day window before being jabbed with the Astra Zeneca. I went shopping after the jab and thought ‘ oh my arm is aching’ then realised it was the wrong arm and it was due to carrying an exceptionally heavy bag in the crook of my arm. That was my only side effect.

My mother is the same age as yours and seems to be getting a huge number of infections, some of them come on at great speed! Obviously coincidence could have been at play here.

I am sure you have everyone’s sympathy. It sounds like a small problem but we know the reality of how many hours your brain spends trying to make the ‘right’ decision, and when you make that decision it is life that controls if it was the right one !

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
My wife who has LBD and Alzheimer’s has had both of her COVID jabs. We had the Pfizer ones, with no after effects at all. One of the NHS nurses told us it depends on a persons wellbeing, as to what happens after having it. Also even after both jabs it doesn’t mean you can’t still get COVID, but it should stop you being extremely ill.

Ithuriel

May 13, 2018
Giving someone vax on top of natural virus could be too much for a frail person to cope with. The vax providers dont seem to be flagging this up
That is what I thought. However, I remain in a quandary about what to do regarding the impending 2nd dose.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Is there a scientific study that backs up this point?
I think its a general rule and they do tell pple to wait for a month after natural infection before having jab. Its also common sense with frail, eldery people, that it could be too much for their systems to deal with. Old pple can die of side effects that younger pple could withstand

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
This is an interesting thread. My mum, along with several residents and staff in her care home, tested positive for the virus two weeks after her first jab. She is now extremely frail, having more survived the virus rather than recovered from it. I am thinking that she should not have the second jab. I will consult with the care home manager and see what he says.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
The trouble with threads like this is the reality that you will get the few people who have a reaction to the vaccine and not the super multiple number who have no problem.
The whole point of vaccine is not only to protect yourself but critically to protect others. The reality of the vulnerability of the older, and those impacted by dementia, to my mind reinforces the need for everyone to be vaccinated.
When the next wave comes and the un-vaccinated are at risk you will appreciate the short term impact of reaction which, from all the evidence now available, only affects a very few.
Yes it's horrid if you are the one with or caring for someone who does react. But it's rare and the safety from avoiding hospitalisation or worse is worth the temporary effect.