Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
let's hope, though not expect too much

preliminary, not yet peer reviewed ... but augurs well

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Can't help thinking that we've had flu vaccines for years but hundreds of thousands still die from it every year.

It's a new virus and it's not going t go away. I think we just have to add it to the list of bugs that are ever-present...

(Apologies for glass-half-empty response.)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes let's hope. I mean they will need to do more tests first and we should know as we have heard about more medicines for dementia over the years.

MaNaAk

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Reading up on this totally new way of making a vaccine it sounds like no mater what strain of Covid mutates like flu this too could be modified accordingly. The big problem initially is vaccinations almost the whole population of the world with both injections and the, if needed, doing it every year as with the flu jab which is only given to a limited number of citizens worldwide.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm a naturally cautious person and was talking to friend earlier who is not easily convinced. It will be wonderful if a vaccine is available by the spring, but it has all the checks to go through first.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
With the flu vaccine a considerable amount of protection is by herd immunity, people can get vaccinated and still get flu.
Some top priority people may still rely on other people being vaccinated.
I've not seen a reliable source of the expected effectiveness of the new vaccine. Media says at least 90%.
EDIT
Found

Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...d-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against .

Flu%20vaccine%20effectiveness%2020%3A21%202.png

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/inactivated-flu-vaccine .

Last edited: