Vacation !!

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi all,
I am leaving Wednesday for a week to go to Illinois. We are going on the motorcycle this time and it will be my first long distance ride. We will take three days to get to Illinois and three back, taking the scenic back roads. So won't be online for awhile. My only concern is my folks being ok while I'm gone. I've got their neighboors on alert and a step sister coming for a couple of days. So I will cross all fingers and toes and try not to think about AD for a few days ! That is RESPITE!!
Wish me luck and all take care.
Debbie

Attachments

• police.gif
    police.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 368

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Wow sounds like a lovely advancer(sp) wind in you hair & not a care in the world, enjoy & have a fun 6 worriless day ,luck is on your side as you’re a lovely person ..

Take lots of photo on the bike & when you get back & have time post them on TP :)

johnw

May 14, 2006
manchester
Good luck

Debbie, Now that trip sounds like great fun and takes my mind back to my biking days on my big 500 Norton ES2;)
One of my latest hobbies is, becuse we are pretty house bound these days, is to build a couple of kit cars over the last couple of years though they don't get much road running. Beryl loves to watch me do things as she sits in her favourite deck chair under the car port:)
I'd show you a couple of pics but I don't know how to:confused:
But hey, you have a good rest and wind in the hair. I look forward to seeing you back on line when you get back. I'm sure your `help` will take good care of things in the meantime. Regards. John

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi rummy

there's an old irish saying that i thought id send you for your trip::)

May the road rise up to meet you
may the wind be always at your back,
the sunshine warm upon your face,
The rainfall soft upon your fields
and untill we meet again may god hold you in the
hollow of his hand.

have a safe and happy trip :)
take care xx

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Debbie hi,

have a great respite and enjoy.

Enjoy the bike ride as well. wrap your legs around your fella and hold on tight till you both get there and you will be fine... Gets better with experience - bike riding - wonderful!

Love

Michael

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Thanks all for you well wishes !! I actually have a motorcycle drivers license but choose not to do it. Last time I did, the bike went over and I bumped the ole noggin pretty good. Since I have a really bad neck, it set me back a bit and I decided it just isn't worth it ! One of these days I might get a small Honda to toot around on by myself but for now am content to just hold on! I will post pictures when I return !
Meanwhile, you all hold down the fort !
Debbie
ps, love that Irish saying !!

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi All

That is RESPITE!!

Well last week I was in Thailand visiting an HIV/AIDS orphanage to arrange a link-up with our local primary school and believe it or not I had a wonderful time with 120 children who behaved as if they were the luckiest kids in the world.

My outlook on AD has moderated somewhat, afterall Mary and me have had 50 good years - how long have these children got? Don't get me wrong, AD is still a b****r, but yet....

Dick

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Dick,
You are so right, we get so caught up with AD we forget that there are far worse things that can happen in life. We are blessed in so many ways. Perspective is a wonderful thing!! How wonderful for you to take such a meaningful trip ! You will have to post more on it as I find it fascinating !
Still.....the respite will be great !!
:D Debbie

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Happy holidays!

Debbie....you lucky thing....promise me one thing though....NO WORRYING!!!

Dick...I agree with Debbie....please post more on your trip....Nick and I were lucky enough to visit Thailand(Bangkok and Pattaya) with his work 16 years ago and the poverty we witnessed there was unbelievable....but the faces of the children always stayed with me.....beaming smiles and beautiful faces and on the surface not a care in the world
Wendy

jeannette

Feb 27, 2006
Donna's saying

Donna, thank you so much for the Irish saying. So beautiful. I shall think of it and pass it to other travellers.

Jeannette

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Debbie

Have a good trip! 'Easy Rider' or what...:D
Try and enjoy, without thinking too much about your folks, I'm sure that's what they'd want. By the way, love the little attachment of bike and cops:)
Take care

johnw

May 14, 2006
manchester
Picture of my first kit car

Brucie said:
Thank you Brucie, I hope this picture is a success:) This is my first Kit car whose `donor` car was a Citroen 2CV. Beryl loved watch ing me build this, as she does with all my projects. It's her smile I love to see because of when she was `struck down` and was lay in her hospital bed with her disfigured face I was asked by a Priest " What would you like for Xmas John?" I replied "To see Beryls smile again, and that is all I ever want for any future Christmas's." So now every minute of every day I try to make her smile.:)

Attachments

• super bug+.jpg
    super bug+.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Debbie, Wendy

You asked for it!

An old mountaineering friend of mine lives with his Thai wife in a village, Dong Ding Deang, 240 km north of Bangkok where tey have a small farm. About 7 km from them is an HIV/AIDs orphanage for children born with this scourge. When my friend told me about the orphanage and the wonderful work done by this German charity I dicussed setting up links between my local primary school and the orphanage, Baan Gerda, with the head teacher. To cut a long story short I went to Baan Gerda to try to overcome communications problems.

My friends arranged one of their periodic lunches for the orphans on the 18th of this month, which I was invited to. I had the most wonderful few hours with the children, full of laughter and high jinks and plenty of hugs - their attitude to life is inspirational.

I brought back plenty of photos and three sets of Thai national dress for our children who are very enthusiastic about our links. I have brought back something priceless from Baan Gerda, a different outlook on life, nothing has changed at home except me and AD is not any easier as a consequence but it has a different prespective.

Finally I include a photo of a beautiful child who despite having a bad day due to the ARV drugs was determined to come to the party.

I am all hugged out

Dick

Attachments

• Small Dscf0331.jpg
    Small Dscf0331.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 312

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Well done John. posting the picture.

Thank you Dick for sharing some of your experience.
Love Amy.

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Dick...That must have been such a rewarding and humbling experience...thanks for telling us about it....and what a beautiful picture:)
Wendy
x

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Dick,I ditto what mel said, that is wonderful and thanks for sharing !! John also love the kit car!! how cool.
Debbie

johnw

May 14, 2006
manchester
Thank you Dick

Thank you dick for sharing your wonderful experiences with those sweet children. It's true that things like your writing on this subject are a lift to ones moral to help us cope with life as we know it.
Keep up the good work mate. :)

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Pictures

I have so many pictures I don't know how to post them without it being too many.
So am just posting a couple. The one of me is at the Mississippi river which was my favorite place. The last is of my husband taking his Dad for a ride. He has cancer and that was the main reason we took the bike on this long ride.
Debbie

Attachments

• DSCF0391.jpg
    DSCF0391.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0398.jpg
    DSCF0398.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF0426a.jpg
    DSCF0426a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCF0460.jpg