Utterly confused

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Hi guys I am really confused, the Nursing Home told us they were trying to obtain Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding, mum is entering her third week int he nursing home and is regularly asking to leave, throwing things out of the window and screaming to be let out (also through the window)

Got a letter today to say it was not granted as it is not in her best interests, I went through a whole heap of invasive phone calls and had to take time off work for nothing?!?!?!

Not sure what this all means, mum has no capacity, poor self care, aggression and wandering am now worried she will be sent to her poo infested home =o(

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi guys I am really confused, the Nursing Home told us they were trying to obtain Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding, mum is entering her third week int he nursing home and is regularly asking to leave, throwing things out of the window and screaming to be let out (also through the window)

Got a letter today to say it was not granted as it is not in her best interests, I went through a whole heap of invasive phone calls and had to take time off work for nothing?!?!?!

Not sure what this all means, mum has no capacity, poor self care, aggression and wandering am now worried she will be sent to her poo infested home =o(

Hi SD

My Husband is under a DOL. He was this status when he was in hospital recently and he still is now he is in a CH.(although he never asked to leave or attempted to) I cannot understand why your Mum has not been put under a DOL. She has no capacity (was this acknowledged) and wanders.How will it be in her best interests to let her leave if she wants.

Why do you think she will be sent back to her home? Because she will ask to go?

I'm not sure either but I'm sure someone will come along and give you the answers you need.

Take Care

Lyn T

Forestridge

Feb 10, 2013
I don't understand this either. My Mum is in a flat in a CH pending Best Interests decision. I was told that if No Capacity and wanted to leave home then it is a DOLs but am wondering now whether it is a matter of a Case Conference and a Best Interests decision then onto a DOLs, which might be why the DOLs refused . But that is a guess and I really don't know. Maybe there was a case conference with Lyn's DH whilst he was in hospital?

Last edited:

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I have recently read only about half of DOLS applications are granted.

Could you contact SS and ask why it was not granted this time, and if you can appeal?

Should SS try to send your Mum home, then I suggest you tell them you cannot be responsible, and are unable to help, otherwise the whole merry go round starts up again.

My aunt was no-where near as bad as your mum sounds, but her DOLS was granted. Hope you get the message through to SS.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Well the situation with mum is VERY complicated, I live 100 miles away my sister further, mum has a man friend he has his own house etc,he has in the past always said he can cope even though he doesnt live with her ARGH

her house is filthy poo everywhere, We have no power of attorney cos the BF was telling her we would just put her in a home, she is agressive, difficult and has hurt my children int he past.........................sorry it's all coming out

my biggest fear is they send her home

her house is rancid and getting worse in this heat

I have been asked to do COP as the BF byt he social worker

but seriously

i need ot be emptying and dumping hte contents of her house not worrying baout her going home - sorry it's just all too much at times xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman