UTIs, seizures and hospital

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
@canary.....I don't want to overwhelm you with uninformed questions, but is there a brand name for the catheter? If so maybe you could email the manufacturers to see if they can suggest something.....this can't be the first time someone has faced them with this problem! Hope you can come up with a doable solution soon.....

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Hi there just popped in and this caught my eye. It's so bad that you had no explanation of how the catheter fits together. You need to keep asking till you get the continence nurse, they will advise on the right kit and the dn will help. My oh also passes most urine at night and has a permanent suprapubic catheter. I'm sorry to say I never managed to guarantee a dry bed, he used to fiddle with it and inevitably opened the tap or pulled it apart (and pulled it out a couple of times. ) . I had two light single synthetic duvets so could always change it. Also used Zoflora. However, the whole burden of disturbed nights, bed changing and washing laundry finally overwhelmed me and he is now in a nursing home. He still opens the taps occasionally but says the care staff didn't shut it properly. I haven't heard of any alternative system. I do hope you are able to recover a bit while he is being cared for. I think extending till after Christmas is a good idea, as you say it will be easier to get care in place. Let your social worker know you need help, keep telling them. Good luck xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had a call from Carers Support today and she said that there was usually a SW attached to care homes. OH doesnt have a SW at the moment, so I will contact the one there to see if he can be assessed while he is in the care home.

OH doesnt fiddle with the catheter (thank goodness), but the tube from the catheter to the night bag gets wrapped around his torso - probably as he turns over in his sleep - and gets pulled apart.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
@canary did you not get a little booklet with the catheter stuff? It explains all about the system and how/what to attach.

My OH has 'G straps'. These are elastic straps with velcro fastenings that attach to the thigh. They are the same as the Statlock fastening but are on elastic. If you search you tube for UGO fix catheter strap it shows you how to fasten them. Tho' I was told it's best to fix them after the Y section of the catheter tube over the join as the Y bit stops the tube being pulled and putting pressure on the bladder.
His leg bag is also attached by elastic straps tho' you can get elasticated sleeves too.

As mentioned before my OH managed to disconnect his leg bag twice within 3 nights but I'm pretty sure they were a faulty batch as it came off with me once whilst he was being dressed.

Keep an eye out for UTIs as they can be more prevalent with indwelling catheters. The community nurses have changed OH regular schedule changes from 12 to 10 weeks.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
I had a call from Carers Support today and she said that there was usually a SW attached to care homes. OH doesnt have a SW at the moment, so I will contact the one there to see if he can be assessed while he is in the care home.

OH doesnt fiddle with the catheter (thank goodness), but the tube from the catheter to the night bag gets wrapped around his torso - probably as he turns over in his sleep - and gets pulled apart.
Hello Canary, just reading this through;
If he’s in hospital then there is a SW dept that should be able to help you; I had to abandon my usual scepticism when we were introduced to a really helpful senior SW time before last on one of OHs unscheduled admissions.
The catheter tube and torso sounds a bit odd (that’s not meant to sound rude) as it seems too far up. Arrangement here; Catheter tube downstream end goes into long top pipe (usually too short in hospital) of leg bag which is strapped or held in a pocket stocking on shin (to take majority of weight) with exit/empty tap of leg bag at sock/ankle level. At the point where the catheter goes into legbag pipe use a thigh strap with a Velcro ‘d’ to hold the catheter tube - this helps takes the weight too and stops any pulling which can be excruciating. At night, just daisy chain the night bag to the exit tap of the legbag and hang the night bag on its plastic hanger off the side of the bed and over/into a plastic bowl just in case of leaks. I’ve often had to show new carers how it works and hospital can be the pits as they are inclined to leave everything hanging out of the person and wonder why PWD is agitated - it’s called being in pain!
Fully encased waterproof mattress cover, kylie sheet, synthetic lightweight quilt, fleece blanket and everything washable. Vanish pre-rinse, finish with Dettol laundry rinse. Yep, I hate it and I cried with frustration when I had to take a perfectly good but completely urine-sodden mattress to the dump. I’m not replacing the carpet yet - Febreze, pet spray....
I feel for you. Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my, lots of talk about straps and fastenings! :confused::confused:
The leg bag is held on with straps with velcro fastenings (G straps?). I didnt get any other sort of fastenings. All that came with him in a plastic bag were several different types of bags, a wound dressing pack and something that looks like a long tube with a syringe at one end
did you not get a little booklet with the catheter stuff? It explains all about the system and how/what to attach.
Nope, nothing. No written instructions about anything, who to call or, or ......... just nothing.
@LizzieM - OH is in respite, rather than hospital
I’ve often had to show new carers how it works
Yes, Im going to get the care home to show me what they do as there hasnt been any problems while he has been there at all.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
And Ive just had a call from the care home saying that hes got another UTI...............
Oh my lovely! You have had an awful time of it. I cried reading your post, I’m so sorry that you are dealing with this on top of everything else.

Take this time to recharge your batteries.
Baby steps , day by day
((((((Hugs))))

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Oh I'm sorry to hear he has a UTI. My husband has them regularly, another one now. The G straps are good, they are different to the ones attached to the bag, I had to show the carers how they fit. Ask for them, continence nurse should set up a supply of everything for you. Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
well, what a kerfuffle it was yesterday.
Just after the care home rang me to tell me that they think that OH has another UTI, I got a phone call from his GP saying that they have had a letter from when OH went to London the see the urologist and he has reccommended that OH is put on prophylactic antibiotics and she was writing a prescription for me to collect. I phoned the care home back to let them know and they asked me to bring the prescription with me (so that they could scan it for their records) rather than having it made up.

So, yesterday I went to the surgery in the morning to collect the prescription - but they couldnt find it and said it had been sent to the pharmacy. So I went to the pharmacy (fortunately, next door), but they didnt have it either and said that nothing had been sent to them. Back I go and the receptionist realised that the doctor who phoned me had been working at the main surgery (we go to a satellite surgery) at the time and said that was where it was. So, off I go there, but it wasnt. Eventually it was discovered to have been sent to Stockport o_Oo_O Why Stockport, you may ask. Well, when OH was using the intermittent catheters there was an account set up for him at the manufacturers. I would phone up when he needed more and they would contact the GP for a repeat prescription. And where are they - yup, in Stockport!!!

I eventually got a copy of the prescription and went in the afternoon to visit OH, but found him asleep.
I also had a bit of a blow as I discovered from the carers that OH produces so much urine through the night that they have to empty the night bag during the night. So, when he is home, I will have to get up to do this too. Im wondering what advantage there is to having an indwelling catheter as, although I had to get up to catheterise him during the night, at least with an intermittent catheter I didnt get wet beds.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I haven't any practical advice to offer Canary as I've never had to deal with what you're going through, but just wanted to say I hope things improve . What a mix up with the prescription, but glad you managed to track it down and get it sorted. It really doesn't sound as if the I dwelling catheter is going to make your life easier. Really, what is the point when things don't improve? Sending you hugs xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi @canary I wanted to ask the question I'm sure others are thinking about too:

Are you sure about him coming home? It seems like his needs are now more suited to full time care/multiple carers.

Just worried about you... take care.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
well, what a kerfuffle it was yesterday.
Just after the care home rang me to tell me that they think that OH has another UTI, I got a phone call from his GP saying that they have had a letter from when OH went to London the see the urologist and he has reccommended that OH is put on prophylactic antibiotics and she was writing a prescription for me to collect. I phoned the care home back to let them know and they asked me to bring the prescription with me (so that they could scan it for their records) rather than having it made up.

So, yesterday I went to the surgery in the morning to collect the prescription - but they couldnt find it and said it had been sent to the pharmacy. So I went to the pharmacy (fortunately, next door), but they didnt have it either and said that nothing had been sent to them. Back I go and the receptionist realised that the doctor who phoned me had been working at the main surgery (we go to a satellite surgery) at the time and said that was where it was. So, off I go there, but it wasnt. Eventually it was discovered to have been sent to Stockport o_Oo_O Why Stockport, you may ask. Well, when OH was using the intermittent catheters there was an account set up for him at the manufacturers. I would phone up when he needed more and they would contact the GP for a repeat prescription. And where are they - yup, in Stockport!!!

I eventually got a copy of the prescription and went in the afternoon to visit OH, but found him asleep.
I also had a bit of a blow as I discovered from the carers that OH produces so much urine through the night that they have to empty the night bag during the night. So, when he is home, I will have to get up to do this too. Im wondering what advantage there is to having an indwelling catheter as, although I had to get up to catheterise him during the night, at least with an intermittent catheter I didnt get wet beds.
Prescription mix ups are a pain !
It’s not a good with the urine output being so high, both Mum & Dad are at this stage. mum had prophylactics & for a few months they helped.

Maybe night time care package for as his needs have increased?
You need to look after you as well.
Please think carefully about life & what’s to come, I do worry for your health. xx

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I was thinking the same as @Jaded'n'faded, that it sounds as if your OH needs multiple carers to help him now, but I know it isn't as simple as that if he needs SS funding. I hope you get all the help and advice you need with sorting out his catheter, you have already dealt with so much.
x

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I imagine whether you can cope has crossed your mind and as with most people on this forum it’s not an easy discussion inside your head. When my mum was at home we were all a bit broken trying to cope. I don’t know how we managed so long.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1