UTIs, seizures and hospital

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OK, Im just back from the hospital.
Bad news, Im afraid. OH has had more seizures. They were not as bad as the ones that ended him up in A&E, but he has been put back on the lorazepam. He is very confused, but insisting that he was being discharged today and I was taking him home. I suggested that he must be quite tired after the seizures and perhaps he could have a sleep first, then made my escape. It looks like the UTI has still not gone. That is 3 weeks that he has had it and 3 different types of antibiotics, the last one supposedly targeting that particular bug. Its rather worrying.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
OK, Im just back from the hospital.
Bad news, Im afraid. OH has had more seizures. They were not as bad as the ones that ended him up in A&E, but he has been put back on the lorazepam. He is very confused, but insisting that he was being discharged today and I was taking him home. I suggested that he must be quite tired after the seizures and perhaps he could have a sleep first, then made my escape. It looks like the UTI has still not gone. That is 3 weeks that he has had it and 3 different types of antibiotics, the last one supposedly targeting that particular bug. Its rather worrying.

@canary I'm sorry to raise this at a difficult time for you, but have they ruled out other causes more sinister ones?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What sort of things are you thinking of @Palerider ?
He had a scan 3 weeks ago when he first went into hospital because they thought he might have had a stroke. There was no sign of a stroke (and I would have thought that anything like a tumour would have been noted too) and then they found the UTI

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi, Canary
Sorry to hear that things are not improving at the hospital. You need to look after yourself first so that you can be there for your OH too. Hoping that tree will be some improvement tomorrow. Try to get a good nights sleep xx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry they still haven't sorted the UTI @canary. Hope the new antibiotics start kicking in soon. It's going to be tricky if he wants to come home when he isn't well enough.
Take care of yourself now. {{{hugs}}}

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
What sort of things are you thinking of @Palerider ?
He had a scan 3 weeks ago when he first went into hospital because they thought he might have had a stroke. There was no sign of a stroke (and I would have thought that anything like a tumour would have been noted too) and then they found the UTI

Its good he's had a CT head and nothing showed, but he may need an MRI if your concerned enough to push that, have you heard of non-epileptic seizures ? These happen for other reasons and are equally as worrying which have different causes

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Oh Canary I feel guilty for saying I feel cheerful on my thread without knowing what you are facing. What a worry for you :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
They arnt non-epileptic seizures, @Palerider - they are real ones. He has epilepsy anyway so it makes him more susceptible to triggers like high temperatures and infections. He genuinely had, and probably still has, a UTI

Never feel guilty @Splashing About

Thank you for your your support and hugs are very welcome xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry @Palerider - I didnt mean to brush you off. I do appreciate you offering advice. I was probably more brusque than I intended as Im a bit upset. Im also a bit bemused as non-epileptic seizures are usually considered to be a symptom of mental health problems.
OH definitely has an abnormal EEG - spike waves in the temporal lobe - following a car accident many years ago.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Im sorry @Palerider - I didnt mean to brush you off. I do appreciate you offering advice. I was probably more brusque than I intended as Im a bit upset. Im also a bit bemused as non-epileptic seizures are usually considered to be a symptom of mental health problems.
OH definitely has an abnormal EEG - spike waves in the temporal lobe - following a car accident many years ago.

I'll private msg you @canary, and I am sorry I didn't mean to upset you more than you already are :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
In addition to the seizures OH had yesterday, he had more overnight and today.
The doctors seem rather bemused, but are talking about the UTI.

I have a gut feeling that this is not good