UTIs and D-mannose

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We're now on the 6th UTI since November, I think. The urology team said D-Mannose is a possible way to prevent them, but the NHS does not prescribe it, so we're paying a fair old amount to buy it from Holland and Barrett. I'm sure other sources are available, but if it looks like it might work eventually I don't really care where we get it or how much we pay.
The question is, does it work ?
The other question is one C's daughter is obsessed with. She was prescribed dermovate for an intimate rash and daughter is convinced that is causing the UTIs. These flare up and have come and gone over years, so I'm not so sure. Anyone who has different experience and can advice would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone and sorry I'm not contributing much beyond questions these days.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
We're now on the 6th UTI since November, I think. The urology team said D-Mannose is a possible way to prevent them, but the NHS does not prescribe it, so we're paying a fair old amount to buy it from Holland and Barrett. I'm sure other sources are available, but if it looks like it might work eventually I don't really care where we get it or how much we pay.
The question is, does it work ?
The other question is one C's daughter is obsessed with. She was prescribed dermovate for an intimate rash and daughter is convinced that is causing the UTIs. These flare up and have come and gone over years, so I'm not so sure. Anyone who has different experience and can advice would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone and sorry I'm not contributing much beyond questions these days.
i would have thought that the rash you talked about was caused by the anti-biotics that treats the UTI. i know that is quite common. not sure about the other way round

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Im not from the UK but when my Dad had recurring UTI’s, and sometimes just a low level of bacteria but not enough for antibiotics, he was prescribed Hiprex. This was funded, but not D Mannose.
The Hiprex worked well. Dad also stopped smelling of that urine odour also.
I wouldnt think the dermovate would cause a UTI though just coincidental.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Dermovate is a steroid cream, so could be causing the problems. I've never heard of anti-biotics causing a rash, but it's a line of inquiry. Hiprex is something I'll have to look into.
Thank you for your thoughts, @Linbrusco and @jennifer1967

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
im thinking more of thrush with anti-bios. steroid creams make the skin thinner but nothing about uti
That was what C's daughter was worried about as well, Jennifer. With her I'm always a bit sceptical, so it's interesting you have heard the same and a quick check with Dr Google does confirm it as a possible problem. Thanks again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
That was what C's daughter was worried about as well, Jennifer. With her I'm always a bit sceptical, so it's interesting you have heard the same and a quick check with Dr Google does confirm it as a possible problem. Thanks again.
diabetes is very good for thrush as well as its the sugar in the urine that causes it

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was prescribed a steroid cream (betnovate) for a rash on my face many years ago @nae sporran and used it on and off for years. It never really got rid of the itchy rash. Eventually a move to another GP, who prescribed ketoconazole, cleared it up within a few days. I’ve since discovered that ketoconazole is the active ingredient in one of the athlete’s foot creams which can be bought over the counter so I always try this first for any similar rashes and it usually works.

Canesten is also an anti fungal treatment for thrush which I would have thought was more appropriate for down there than dermovate . I’m not a GP and I have to admit I don’t always trust GPs to get things right .

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats what i was thinking. you can get an one off tablet as well. you can get shops own brand of thrush cream as well which is a bit cheaper. things like shower gel and non-cotton pants where you sweat more along with diabetes. is it itchy? careful C doesnt scratch as she could then bleed. i know what im talking about

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@nae sporran try having a chat with your local pharmacist as they should have much better knowledge of creams and maybe d-mannose than a GP. A locum GP once prescribed my then 18month old some medication not suitable for under 2s which the pharmacist flagged up and would not dispense.
When my daughters were babies they both had mild rashes after amoxicillin, a common antibiotic, so it is possible