Utility bills - I'm new to this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
A word of advise regarding low energy led bulbs, I've tried to get them cheaper on eBay in past, but they don't last long, so false economy!

Thank you again Angela. I've not found that, sorry it wasn't so for you. The one's I've replaced are going well at the moment, and deff MUCH brighter ! thank you again though :)

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
Of course, there will be other things that use electricity in the house in addition to the light bulbs. Are you sure none of those are being left on?
Thank you Stanley.
I don't think so no, I'm becoming pretty vigilant ! It was just such a shock to get a bill of £600 for 6 months, compared to the £342 that was paid when Mum was alive. Nothing else has changed in the house, apart from Mum's no longer there to go around turning the lights off. The telly was on pretty much all the time before and fridges and freezer the same as prior to Mums death, so no I can't think of any other changes..... thank you though,

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
Hello, @Phew. Welcome to Talking Point, if you haven’t had an official one yet! Have you looked into the reduction of council tax that is available? I’m pretty sure you can apply once PiP or Attendance Allowance is being claimed. That would mean a bit of extra money in the pot.
Thank you ! There is no council tax being paid as Jim is living alone in the house, and that is REALLY helpful ! I'd probably have had a break down by now if I'd got that to find too. He also gets the lower amount of AA, £50 something per week, he doesn't qualify for the larger amount apparently as he lives alone. Thank you for your help, this really is very nice to know others are out there and do have the time to give to others to try and help ! Very uplifting.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If the house is all electric I don't think £100 a month is unreasonable even if it was less when your mum was alive. If its gas and electric maybe so.

If your dad gets attendance allowance, I'm sure economy bulbs could be purchased with the allowance . The idea of using fewer light bulbs in any room where a person with dementia is living is unadvisable. WE are always being told they need well lit rooms.

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
£516 p.a. is a lot of lights being left on for a long time.
As has been said are any other appliances (heaters etc) being left on?

I doubt if any supplier will give you a reduced tariff so it is up to you to do something.

Installing low energy lamps in fittings and reducing the number of lamps in fittings will help, there are also hitech solutions involving time delays and motion sensors.

In the final analysis ~£10/wk in the cost of looking after a PWD can fade into insignificance, although 'every little helps' is still a good mantra.
Thank you, but it'll be £1,200 pa as it's £100/month. The heating is oil heating so that's a different bill. What is a PWD please ? Argh person with dementia... but it's £25/week on just electricity, hence my delay in getting signed up to any company for a year until I'd really looked to see if anyone else knew of companies who were supplying elec at a cheaper rate per kw/h. Thank you :)

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
Hi there. welcome to the forum. Looks like there's a lot of advice and ideas posted by members. I don't know if this is still available but when my mum lived at home we were with British Gas (for gas and electricity) and every winter I applied for a winter payment from them as mum was on basic pension plus attendance allowance. This was classed as a low income and her fuel bills were more than a certain % of her income. They paid £120 towards winter fuel and this went into her electricity account which was also with British Gas, We never swapped suppliers because of this. Could be worth looking into and might help others too. Someone might remember what it's called too!
Argh ha ! Thank you !!!! I know Mum and Jim got that, so I'll check when the next payment is due. Thank you :)

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
If the house is all electric I don't think £100 a month is unreasonable even if it was less when your mum was alive. If its gas and electric maybe so.

If your dad gets attendance allowance, I'm sure economy bulbs could be purchased with the allowance . The idea of using fewer light bulbs in any room where a person with dementia is living is unadvisable. WE are always being told they need well lit rooms.

Phew

Feb 10, 2018
Thank you Grannie G. I feel like you, I don't want to ask him to turn lights off as that's when more problems will develop. The heating is oil heating, so the elec is for lights, fridge, freezer, kettle, etc, you know the usual stuff. I've just got to suck it all up but am keen to explore thoughts of others before I sign up to a firm for a yr. Then it'll drop a little I know, but I didn't want to be hasty and then regret it.... thank you

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m really NOT an expert, but I don’t think living alone means no higher rate AA is paid. Anyone know any different?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think in order to be granted the higher rate of AA it has to be shown the person claiming needs 24/7 support and supervision, so would be at risk living alone.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
As far as I recall my mother and my husband got the higher rate because they needed help overnight.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I’m really NOT an expert, but I don’t think living alone means no higher rate AA is paid. Anyone know any different?

Agreed, it's the need for supervision that counts, not whether any care is actually being provided.

A person may struggle for 4 hours to get dressed, this is a need for help, however the person may chose to just keep on struggling.

T1993r

Nov 11, 2017
Kings lynn
Hello,
I'm the sole carer for my Step father since my Mum died last year.
Their elec bill was £57/month but since Mums not there to turn off the lights the bill has risen to £100/month.
I don't live with him atm as I don't feel he's yet in harm living alone and I'm less than 10 mins away and i visit daily, do all the nec and have lunch with him etc and leave around 3pm but the lights are all on when I return every morning. I don't want to ask him to turn them off or he may get into the habit of doing that and then we'll be in trouble once Autumn/Winter hits as it'll be dark and he could trip/stumble etc, but I think I've heard of some utility companies who offer the kilowatt per hr rate at slightly less for those living with dementia. Could anybody please tell me if they have come across anything like this before I sign up to a company for a yr etc etc. Thank you in advance for reading and any help you can offer !

Welcome to Talking point, I know it may be pricey, but what about something like Hive? Where you can control everything by your phone, heating and lights etc. It may work out cheaper in the long run, maybe get a camera so you can see he is in bed before you turn all the lights out and maybe a couple of night lights in the hall way so he doesn't need to switch on the lights if he gets up during the night? Just a thought

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
Late to the party, but…

…elec bill was £57/month but since Mums not there to turn off the lights the bill has risen to £100/month.

I agree that this is at least twice what your stepdad should be paying, since he doesn't use electricity for heating. It's always a good idea to try and get a cheaper deal, but it would be even better to track down why the bills have gone up so much.

If your billing system is like mine, the power company sets a semi-fixed monthly bill that will only vary when the company changes its tariff or your stepdad changes the amount of electricity he uses over a period of several months. I think he was indeed using the extra power, they started to bill him for it, and now they haven't yet caught up with the fact that thanks to the LED lamps he's now using less.

My wife and I use about 3000 kWh a year, including all cooking, and that costs us about £46 a month. 3000 kWh a year is equivalent to a load of about 350 W running 24/7. So if your stepdad had just half a dozen old-style bulbs – 60W or 100W each – switched on day and night that could certainly double his consumption and push his bill up to £100 a month.

You've replaced most of the bulbs with LEDs, so that will have cut the "waste" consumption by about 85%. But depending on how often the meter is read, the power company's billing system may not have caught up.

I suggest you try to get some actual meter readings (not estimated ones) from his bills, or just read the meter yourself. With the LEDs fitted you should see perhaps 8 kWh per day, and the same when your mum was alive. In between those times, you'd expect to see almost twice that, so say 15 kWh per day.

Once you're sure that he's back to using, say, 8 kWh per day, call the company and ask them to reduce the monthly payment. They might insist on waiting for the next meter reading, but it has to be worth a try.

@Slugsta suggested a smart meter, and I can certainly recommend that. My dad's just had one fitted, and I can log on to a web dashboard to see not only how much electricity he uses per day but also when he uses it, in half-hour slots. At home we have a geo Minim+ energy monitor that also works very well. If your stepdad is still using more power than seems reasonable, monitoring hourly usage can help you track it down.

Since it's been a couple of months since you posted, I hope perhaps the situation has fixed itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.