Uti

Becs26

Jan 26, 2012
My nan who I care for has been admitted to hospital with a uti her behaviour has been badly affected by the infection, she is delirious, hallucinating, talking to herself, reaching for things that are not there, she is shaky and wobbly on her feet, not her usual self at all. Her dementia was moderate before this and I am worried she won't get back to her normal self after this. Does anyone have experience of this happening to their loved one? Hoping someone can tell me she might recover and that this is not the start of her decline??

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Becs and welcome to TP :)

I'm sorry to hear about your nan. I can only say that UTIs can often cause this kind of thing in older people. There is every chance that with a good course of antibiotics and perhaps some rehydration etc, she may improve and get back very close to her previous self.

No guarantees, of course, but equally, no need to panic yet :)

I hope your nan makes a good recovery :)

Lindy xx

Martij

Feb 26, 2014
Hi

Sorry to hear about your Nan... I have been through 3 uti's with my Mum they really knock them for six very puzzling behaviour and increased confusion... In the end it weakened her that much she couldn't sit up in bed this was a very steep learning curve for me . Am pleased to say with a course of anti biotics she always made a full recovery although usually once the anti biotics were finished as they could make her sleep... give your Nan time and she is in the right place to get treatment and hopefully she will be fine

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Becs.
Am sorry to hear about your Nan. I hope she recovers quickly.

My Mum who had mixed dementia, had lots of UTIs over the years , except for the last few Mum did return back to how she was before.
The first time mum had a UTI I was shocked at how much she deteriorated.

It is also possible that just being in hospital is causing some of the additional confusion.

Please let us know how Nan gets on.

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England
My nan who I care for has been admitted to hospital with a uti her behaviour has been badly affected by the infection, she is delirious . . .

My father was well enough to drive until he was 88, and then it was his, rather than his GP's decision to give up. The first time I found him at all confused was when he had a UTI. The out of hours doctor visited and gave some antibiotics and he recovered his wits within the day. The same thing, bewilderment followed by recovery, happened with subsequent UTIs and also with a chest infection.

Later, he was hospitalised with urisepsis, which is when the bug escapes from the urinary system and causes septicaemia (bacteraemia). May I suggest you ask the hospital doctors what is the bug they're treating your Nan for, and also whether the diagnosis is urisepsis?

On my father's part this episode did mark a point in his decline but he recovered most of the way after leaving hospital. As an in-patient he varied between being confused and disoriented to completely delusional. When he got home he still had some persistent funny ideas but mostly related quite well. He did need a lot of sleep though, either in an arm chair or in bed. It's very tiring being in hospital.

I hope your Nan starts to recover, but being in hospital is disorienting at any age and especially in the elderly. I hope that when she's discharged there is help at first so your Nan may get used to familiar things and places. From my own small experience it'll only be after a small number of weeks you'll be able to tell.

Best wishes,
Fred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513