1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. opaline

opaline Registered User

Nov 13, 2014
    Mum is feeling that she needs to 'go' but when she does nothing happens, is this a symptom of a UTI?

2. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    Hi. When my mum had UTIs she quite often suffered from retention (unable to wee)
    Dont leave it too long before you call GP out.

My mum used to have a catheter inserted at home by the district nurse and once the infection had cleared it was removed we waited to see if she could pass urine again.

3. opaline

opaline Registered User

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks for replies, x

4. Astiria

Astiria Registered User

Jul 23, 2014
    Anglesey North Wales UK
    I find this is one of the first signs with my mum before the confusion etc kicks in. I have now arranged with my GP to have antibiotics in advance ready to use as by the time I manage to get a sample and have it tested we can already be three days in!

5. Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    S. E. England
    If you have antibiotics to hand, please make sure you also have some sterile sample pots.

Always take a specimen BEFORE giving the first of the antibiotics, and take to the doctors' surgery.

That way, if the bug turns out to be resistent, a new antibiotic to which the bug is not resistent can be subsituted.

It can be very hard to culture a bug after even a single dose even of an ineffective AB.