UTI?

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
For the last 3 days my father has been found in the morning with a soaking wet bed, soaking pyjamas and pad on the floor. I've shampooed the carpet twice but it still stinks in there. Have put a plug in air freshener in his room and bought a load of aerosol fresheners just to mask it a bit. Not sure if he has yet another UTI (the carers can't get him to give a sample - although they could probably just wring out his pyjamas!) but his urine smells really strong and he's more confused than usual.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @spandit
It's tricky to get a sample in the circumstances, maybe contact the GP and tell them of the smell and confusion as they might prescribe without a test

pet shops have products to use on carpets after pet 'accidents' which helped with dad's carpets

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
For the last 3 days my father has been found in the morning with a soaking wet bed, soaking pyjamas and pad on the floor. I've shampooed the carpet twice but it still stinks in there. Have put a plug in air freshener in his room and bought a load of aerosol fresheners just to mask it a bit. Not sure if he has yet another UTI (the carers can't get him to give a sample - although they could probably just wring out his pyjamas!) but his urine smells really strong and he's more confused than usual.
Oh no! This is an exhausting problem. Anyone who has had a puppy will tell you liquid biological washing liquid (most is non-bio, it must be bio) will actually break down the bacteria that causes the smell. Hope it is an infection which can therefore be cleared up...

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Oh no! This is an exhausting problem. Anyone who has had a puppy will tell you liquid biological washing liquid (most is non-bio, it must be bio) will actually break down the bacteria that causes the smell. Hope it is an infection which can therefore be cleared up...
That's a good tip about the bio liquid. Carer got a sample off him this morning so hopefully we'll get him helped soon. In the meantime, the multitudinous air fresheners are taking the edge off!

Geitee

Jun 10, 2021
My mum gets very frequent UTI’s and is completely incontinent. She has other comorbidities but the GP will prescribe antibiotics based on us telling them about smell, cloudy/murky coloured urine and increased confusion. We also have these test sticks that show whether urine has protein/leukocytes etc and can work on a pad if it’s full. Not great but it helps with managing it.
hope your GP can help.

Last edited: