UTI infection again so confused and worried

Niloc

Dec 18, 2013
Mum has now had 4 UTIs since Xmas. Was admitted to hospital from her home in March with 2nd one, treated with antibiotics via IV as mum does not take Meds easily , as very suspicious. Hospital not great at caring for her as Alzheimers behaviour difficult for general nursing, but appeared to respond to antibiotics , albeit was severely set back by the side effect of Delerium.

Due to Alzheimers being affected, and Dad 82 reluctantly admitting he could no longer look after her, Mum admitted to a local Nursing home for Alzheimer's.

Mum picked up for about 10 days but then showed signs of deteriation again. Got urune retested and needless to say water infection back. They put her back on antibiotics and again recovered after weeks course. Went another 2 week UTI free and then showed signs again of set back, very sleepy , uncoordinated movements. The Dr put mum on single dose of antibiotics with a view of keeping things at bay. this worked again for 2weeks, but then Saturday, mum appeared very lethargic again, she rallied for about2hrs chatting, and eating , then Sunday more sleepy but still eating and drinking.

But today , totally sleepy all day. On rare occasion she opened her eyes she just stared into space , no recollection or acknowledgement to Dads voice or mine, very difficult to get mum to drin or eat.

Spoke with Dr who was there today , said that the recent water test showed nothing adverse but there maybe something deep routed. They are putting her back on the stronger course of antibiotics for a week, and then review. The option to have her. Hospitalised again scares me to death, as they can't care for her Alzheimers in hospital and I am not sure what to do as the alternative would be to let nature take its course according to the Dr.

My Dad is so scared, he cannot understand what is happening to her, and I feel so confused if in the next week mum doesn't respond I don't know what to do.

Is The continuing occorunce of UTIs a sign that her body is failing her . Is this what happens at final stage alzheimers , sleeping and staring continuously, no response to voices. I thought I understood all if this but now I see my mum in this state I feel so confused and afraid to bake decisions.

I know everyone is different but has anyone else gone through so many uTIs in 3months

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((Hugs)))) Nicol
UTIs are very common with dementia and some people seem to get one after another, but go on for ages. Dementia is also so unpredictable; with my MIL we were told 3 times that the end had arrived - once she was actually put on the Liverpool pathway - only for her to rally!
I think you have to take it one day at a time and see what happens. She may respond to to the new anti-Bs. I do think it would be a good idea for you and your dad to talk about what to do when the time eventually does come, though.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Is she incontinent?
A well as dementia my mother was an insulin dependant diabetic, and there were not many weeks that we actually seemed to clear a UTI, they came one after another...after another....after another.

Lack of fluids didn't help my mum, she just wouldn't drink much''I never have'' she'd say when I would beg her to drink a glass of something at lunchtime.

In the end, a sipper bottle worked for mum, seemed easier than a glass.

Niloc

Dec 18, 2013
Is she incontinent?
A well as dementia my mother was an insulin dependant diabetic, and there were not many weeks that we actually seemed to clear a UTI, they came one after another...after another....after another.

Lack of fluids didn't help my mum, she just wouldn't drink much''I never have'' she'd say when I would beg her to drink a glass of something at lunchtime.

In the end, a sipper bottle worked for mum, seemed easier than a glass.

Thank you for replies, not really slept last night, seems Mums incontinence is. Back again coinciding with infection. Part of me wants this evil illness to end and free her, but then I feel so guilty because there's a part of me that I feel I'm the one that wants to be fee of this as I can't stand to watch this destroy her any more, but then reality sets in and I want my Mum.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Sadly, as we are hearing on the News at the moment - bacteria becomes resistant to AB's - this is what happened to my husband until finally there was nothing really left to treat his continuing UTI's with. Its very hard to come to terms with but part of the dementia progression. Your feelings are perfectly natural - wanting to see her free of her pain, distress and confusion but also wanting to be free to get on with your life. I am sure many of us can relate to these feelings - I know I can. As I say so many times "what will be will be" - your task is to ensure as far as possible her pain, fever and to an extent added confusion are controlled and she is as comfortable as possible. UTI's take a toll on an already weaker constitution - she may yet rally so take it day by day if you can. Loving thoughts WIFE