UTI in progress!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Going through a difficult few days at the moment while my husband battles through his first UTI. I am so grateful for this forum because it was here that I found out about UTIs a couple of years ago - and so I was aware of what would happen and what to look out for.
Having said that it is still extremely hard to watch my husband become so very confused and lost. He even reached a stage where our home became referred to as ' what is this place?' And he forgot his name for a while.
The simplest of words are leaving him confused (references to rooms such as bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, toilet have no meaning).
Despite the warm weather he says he is freezing all the time, he is barely eating and falls off to sleep numerous times throughout the day.
He constantly says 'pardon?' to a voice that's not there, has bouts of coughing then asks in an annoyed tone 'who's making that noise?'
And the wind (belching) - it's been going on for days now - I can only think he is taking in too much air when he eats the little that he does.
He's been pacing, fretting, fidgeting, having dark thoughts of what he thinks is his imminent death - and generally being exhausting!
I hope his antibiotics work quickly - he has just completed his first day of them and if anything, he seems to be getting worse!
I am definitely glad to have known about UTIs beforehand but nothing really quite prepares you until you experience it first hand!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s hard to realise that something sounding as inoffensive as a UTI can cause such confusion.

I hope it clears quickly Lynne .

My first experience of Dhiren`s first UTI was when he thought I was an intruder and threatened me with a knife.

I had no idea.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It`s hard to realise that something sounding as inoffensive as a UTI can cause such confusion.

I hope it clears quickly Lynne .

My first experience of Dhiren`s first UTI was when he thought I was an intruder and threatened me with a knife.

I had no idea.

How distressing and frightening for you :( Fortunately nothing like that has happened in my husband's situation. It must be something that's played on his mind a bit though because in one brief moment of clarity a couple of days back he looked very worried and asked if he'd done anything violent while he wasn't thinking straight.Bless him.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lynne, antibiotics can take a couple of days to 'kick in' so hopefully your OH will start feeling a bit better soon. How long is the course of AB's? Don't worry about the extra sleeping; Pete used to sleep more and at times only woke up to be fed:D

I hope you see an improvement soon

Love,

Lyn T

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thanks Lyn,
The course of ABs is 7 days. We'll be starting day 2 of the course today. Hubby hasn't woken up yet (9am) so I'll have to wait a bit longer to see how he is doing today and get the next lot of medication into him!
On a positive note he did sleep right through the night this time - rather than the broken sleep and confused ramblings that have plagued him since last Thursday. :)

xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Lyn,
The course of ABs is 7 days. We'll be starting day 2 of the course today. Hubby hasn't woken up yet (9am) so I'll have to wait a bit longer to see how he is doing today and get the next lot of medication into him!
On a positive note he did sleep right through the night this time - rather than the broken sleep and confused ramblings that have plagued him since last Thursday. :)

xxx

Unbroken sleep-good for both of you:) I'm by no means an expert, and I don't mean to worry you in advance, but if your OH appears not to have fully recovered from the UTI after the AB's, perhaps get him tested again? Pete quite often needed more than 7 days to cure his UTI's.

Hope you have a better day today

Love,

Lyn T

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Lynne. I am sorry to hear your husband has a UTI but glad that you were pre warned about the horrors of Such infections by reading about them one here. I know it is still a terrible shock and its awful to see your Husband go through this and that is without the extra worry and exhaustion must be going through.
I hope the ABs kick in soon and your Husband improves quickly.

I am so glad to read th DR pescribed a 7 Day course of ABs

When my mum had UTIs she would either sleep for England or be extra confused and hyper .
I too have no wish to worry you but ,like Lyn my Mum Often needed a second course .

When you can, Please let us know how you and your Husband are.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well I am glad to report that when my husband woke this morning it was clear that he is now over the worst of his UTI. A remarkable change overnight as even yesterday he was so confused that I was going to take him back to the GP today. He still has another day of antibiotics to complete and then I'll make sure he is checked out again.
He is devastated that he missed our daughter running in the London Marathon yesterday (in aid of the Alzheimer's Society) and also missed a short interview she did with BBC London Radio a few days ago to help sponsorship - and says he feels like he is just coming out of a coma which has lasted a week.
It was lovely to get 'him back' this morning, to see him get washed and dressed all by himself, know his way around the house again. I just feel so happy right now and wanted to share the news - and to thank everyone again for all the advice and support given :)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Glad he is better Lynne - just a thought, you should find the radio interview on iPlayer although it might take a bit of searching through the programme.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
That's much better news Lynne. Just keep an eye open for any return symptoms for a couple of days (sorry don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom). I hope he will be fine from now on

Love

Lyn T XX

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Glad he is better Lynne - just a thought, you should find the radio interview on iPlayer although it might take a bit of searching through the programme.

Thanks Celia - I did find the link but had decided not to share it with him yet because the interview had been a bit emotional. My daughter hadn't expected to be interviewed and it came within a few hours of me having to tell her that her Dad was too ill to see her run the marathon and I would need to stay home and look after him.

Of course she fully understood, but to cut a long story short there was a break in her voice as she told the interviewer that her Dad was too ill to support her. The interviewer was so taken with the emotion that he asked her to come back after the marathon.

My dilemma this morning was knowing how upset my husband was to realise the event had passed him by and that he had not been able to support her - I didn't want him to feel worse by listening to his daughter trying not to cry about it at the time.

Anyway, the problem is now resolved because my daughter was given a follow-up interview a couple of hours ago - and this time there were no tears, she was able to say how much better her Dad was doing today - and the upside was that my husband was able to hear it all - so smiles all around.

On another positive note, the interviewer said he was now inspired to do a programme around raising awareness about dementia - which they've covered in the past but he felt it was worth covering again :)

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well, once again the advice from this forum was spot on. My husband had shown positive signs of having rallied round from his UTI on Monday - but by the next day, was starting to flounder again. With one tablet left, I phoned the GP and my husband was prescribed a different course of medication over the phone. These ones seem to have a two pronged attack on the UTI so should work better than the first course. I am not entirely sure why he wasn't given these the first time around - two different GPS and two different approaches.
In many ways my husband has shown a lot of improvement but he is not back to where he was before the UTI and perhaps he never will be.
It was awful this morning, he got up and came downstairs and said he'd got lost and didn't know which way to go. For the first time since this horrible disease started he had tears in his eyes and kept apologising for being 'useless'. Of course I reassured him, we had a cuddle and talked about all the things he could do and how he was not to blame for his illness and had nothing to apologise about (he'd been saying sorry over and over).
I got him back on track by showing him where the loo and bathroom were and he felt a bit better after having a wash and shave.
After some tea and toast we walked down to the local shop to get some newspapers and he now seems a bit more settled. He also did the drying up for me, which has given him a sense of having helped (which it has because I hate drying up!).
I was going to tackle putting down some new, plain carpeting today but I've put that on hold as I think it would be too much for him if I start moving furniture around etc. Maybe I'll do it overnight while he is asleep - if I can stay awake myself.
Instead, I'll have a bit of a clear out today and take some things down the dump. Hopefully, less clutter will be of help to him, especially as he seems more confused getting around the house.