UTI caused by different water type (not bottled)

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Is it possible that a UTI can be caused by a different water type i.e. if you drink bottled at home but then have tap water out or hot water (possibly from an Urn which is either not clean or the water is not hot enough). Mums been acting strange, took her to the doctors who though it could be a possible UTI and prescribed antibiotics again. On the way back, dad wondered if the fact mum has been out the last three days drinking hot water / tap water contributed to it?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think so. Problems with drinking not-very-clean water might give you an upset tum, but I cant see that it would cause a UTI. With a UTI the bacteria has to go in the other way into the bladder and is usually caused by not emptying the bladder completely, lack of hygiene in that area, or by incontinence.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I can't say I've ever heard of that or thought it possible as ingested water takes a while to get to the urinary tract.

Not having enough water when more active may have caused issues by way of dehydration.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Absolutely not is my answer. Water infection is a polite term for urinary tract infection and totally nothing to do with the water you drink other than they both contain the word water.
By the time the water you drink gets to the urethra it's been through the whole digestive process and filter by the kidneys anything in the water that could cause an infection would have either shown itself in the usual way; vomiting and upset stomach similar to food poisoning.
UTI's come from poor personal care generally, it seems that not a lot of women know you're supposed to wipe from the front to the back otherwise you may infect yourself from your own bottom.
K

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Absolutely not is my answer. Water infection is a polite term for urinary tract infection and totally nothing to do with the water you drink other than they both contain the word water.
By the time the water you drink gets to the urethra it's been through the whole digestive process and filter by the kidneys anything in the water that could cause an infection would have either shown itself in the usual way; vomiting and upset stomach similar to food poisoning.
UTI's come from poor personal care generally, it seems that not a lot of women know you're supposed to wipe from the front to the back otherwise you may infect yourself from your own bottom.
K
Thanks for the replies. I did think my dads theory about the water was just coincidental. It's more likely that certain carers are not taking as much care with the bathing and personal hygine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil