UTI and/or deterioration

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby has had UTI and completed two lots of antibiotics - Nitrofurantoin and Ciprofloxacin - almost a week ago.

He has had Vascular Dementia for a number of years, diagnosed two/three years ago but obvious signs for a few years before diagnosis, probably about ten years total.

He also has a number of health issues which have affected his mobility, including side effects of treatment for leukaemia. Normally he is tired and mostly just sits in his chair, hardly ever moving around but for a few days he has not been able to be out of bed. When I wake him to give fluids/meds etc., he just wants to lie down again as soon as possible. Normally he eats well but he's not interested in food now.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hubby has had UTI and completed two lots of antibiotics - Nitrofurantoin and Ciprofloxacin - almost a week ago.

He has had Vascular Dementia for a number of years, diagnosed two/three years ago but obvious signs for a few years before diagnosis, probably about ten years total.

He also has a number of health issues which have affected his mobility, including side effects of treatment for leukaemia. Normally he is tired and mostly just sits in his chair, hardly ever moving around but for a few days he has not been able to be out of bed. When I wake him to give fluids/meds etc., he just wants to lie down again as soon as possible. Normally he eats well but he's not interested in food now.

Sadly, many people with Alzheimer's and/or Vascular Dementia seem to frequently get UTIs. If you're fit and well, they can make you feel disorientated, so if you have AD or Vascular Dementia, it's far worse. Has the GP been advised that in spite of the antibiotics, hubby is still poorly? If not, perhaps a phone call to his GP would be the next step, asking for a visit. I hope things improve for you xxx

Wigan

May 5, 2013
Was your hubby's sample sent away to a lab for testing or, was it the GP that prescribed. Mum has recurrent UTI's and we always insist the sample is sent to the lab to get the correct antibiotic. Sometimes a GP will prescribe Trimethropin or Nitrofurantoin without knowing what it is resistant or sensitive to.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Two weeks age Doctor confirmed UTI and left me with Nitrofurantoin to start immediately. Then after sample was lab tested, we got Ciproflaxicin.

This morning I have phoned requesting doctor's visit today but of course, we do not get a doctor doing housecalls.

Clinical Practitioner comes to ascertain whether the patient really needs a doctor to visit. CP does a whole session of housecalls and returns to surgery to report to doctor and then it is decided what, if any, action is necessary. This "frees up" doctor's time so that he/she can have a whole morning surgery. I do not know how common this arrangement is but our surgery has been doing this for a few years due to a shortage of doctors. CP told me he is a former paramedic and went on training courses when he was appointed to this post.

This morning care worker and I got hubby washed and in fresh pyjamas. I persuaded him to have some bran flakes, 2 or 3 spoons, but all he wanted to do was to lie down again.

Apart from care worker in the morning, I am on my own and must confess that I feel a bit scared.
It is lovely to be part of TP - and many thanks for replies.xx

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Two weeks age Doctor confirmed UTI and left me with Nitrofurantoin to start immediately. Then after sample was lab tested, we got Ciproflaxicin.

This morning I have phoned requesting doctor's visit today but of course, we do not get a doctor doing housecalls.

Clinical Practitioner comes to ascertain whether the patient really needs a doctor to visit. CP does a whole session of housecalls and returns to surgery to report to doctor and then it is decided what, if any, action is necessary. This "frees up" doctor's time so that he/she can have a whole morning surgery. I do not know how common this arrangement is but our surgery has been doing this for a few years due to a shortage of doctors. CP told me he is a former paramedic and went on training courses when he was appointed to this post.

This morning care worker and I got hubby washed and in fresh pyjamas. I persuaded him to have some bran flakes, 2 or 3 spoons, but all he wanted to do was to lie down again.

Apart from care worker in the morning, I am on my own and must confess that I feel a bit scared.
It is lovely to be part of TP - and many thanks for replies.xx

What a palaver over getting a GP to call! You must feel like throttling the world with their own red tape! There used to be an advert "you're never alone with a Strand" - in the days when advertising cigarettes was not considered the Biggest Sin.

Well you're never alone with Talking Point either. :)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Lilac Blossom, I'm sure you already know this and have had it checked, or the GP has, and it's probably a rubbish suggestion, but it couldn't hurt to have your hubby checked for orthostatic hypotension. (For those who don't know what this is, such as me until recently, it's an issue where your blood pressure drops significantly when you stand up, leaving you feeling that you must lie down immediately and also often that you only feel comfortable lying down.)

But the recurrent UTIs can certainly take their toll just in and of themselves. And I agree that a sample should be cultured, to make sure the right antibiotic has been prescribed.

I'm sorry you are feeling alone and scared. Remember that TP is always open!

theoh

Nov 11, 2015
Hi

just another suggestion as you are talking about hubby - has he had his prostate checked? my OH has recurring UTIs and urinary incontinence (really bad - said with feeling! ) due to a very enlarged prostate, thankfully results back today and it is not cancerous but given his age they will not operate so he is on tables to try and help but UTIs are very common with prostate problems as there is a backwash back into the bladder - apparently which can cause the infection.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Exactly my experience with my husband theoh. He's now got a catheter permanently, which is horrible but the best of a bad job.

Sorry you ware having such a worrying time Lilac Blossom, it is very lonely to be coping on your own. I don't know how I would manage without TP, so I'm glad you've got us!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby in hospital

GP said J has chest infection and needs to be in hospital for tests, Xray etc. He had blood and urine tests yesterday and should have Xray today. Our small hospital does not have lab facilities - courier takes samples to larger hospital so test results take a day or two. It's a general hospital which is not ideal for person with dementia. He is quite lost and confused - I feel so sad to see him like this.

J had prostate problems for years (fortunately not cancer) and eventually about four years ago it became necessary for him to have a catheter permanently. It's ok most of the time but no matter how careful we are I think it is inevitable that UTIs will occur from time to time.

I don't remember that advert for Strand but the one I really do remember from way back is "Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet" Sheer bliss :)

Thanks for all the lovely replies - I do appreciate the support of TP

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Lilac I hope your husband doesn't have to stay in hospital too long but at least it gives you a bit of a break. I hate leaving my husband in hospital he always seems so lost and Although I know the staff try, there are so many other calls on their time. xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby coming home tomorrow

When I visited hubby today he was sound asleep in bed, I haven't seen him out of bed since he went in to hospital on Tuesday but doctor says he is ok for going home tomorrow. Apparently he has been having physio in the morning so is tired in the afternoon. They say that the UTIs have cleared up and Xray indicates the chest infection is ok (although he is still on antibiotics for that).

I'm pleased he is coming home tomorrow although I expected it would take another day or two.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
When I visited hubby today he was sound asleep in bed, I haven't seen him out of bed since he went in to hospital on Tuesday but doctor says he is ok for going home tomorrow. Apparently he has been having physio in the morning so is tired in the afternoon. They say that the UTIs have cleared up and Xray indicates the chest infection is ok (although he is still on antibiotics for that).

I'm pleased he is coming home tomorrow although I expected it would take another day or two.

Hope everything goes OK for you both xxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

Sending you a virtual,hug.

Aisling ( Ireland)

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby arrived home at 2.30 in patient transport. Each time he has UTI there is a noticeable deterioration and this time is no exception. There must be something strong about him which keeps him going in spite of numerous health issues.

He had a cup of tea and sandwich - now fast asleep and the saga continues.

Thanks TP xxxxxxxx