Using an inhaler

Richierich

Mar 6, 2013
Hello,

My mum needs to use her inhaler 2x a day and based on the counters on the inhaler she isn't using it every day.

I call her every morning/ evening and she says she's taken it but clearly she isn't.

Has anyone got any tips on how to help her remember to take it... I've already put reminder sheets around the house

Thanks
Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well you could get carers in to make sure that she takes it. My OH got to the stage where not only did he forget to use his inhalers (that wasn't a problem as such as I was with him 24/7) but he forgot what to do with them. I don't know what stage your Mum is but do you think she still knows what to do?

Take care

Lyn T

Richierich

Mar 6, 2013
I think she still gets that bit although the Dr kindly gave her a new design which has caused some confusion.

I'm hoping to avoid a carer as there are so many people in need and there resources are already over stretched buy thanks for the suggestion.

Don't know how you cope 24/7

And I have no idea what we will do when she eventually forgets how to use an inhaler/ breathe in

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
I used to print off spreadsheets with boxes for Mum to tick when she had taken tablets and inhalers, showing the time of day (e.g. breakfast time) with a box for each item to be ticked. Put sheet on a clipboard with a colourful pen attached, and keep in an obvious place with medications (I used kitchen table).

This only worked for a few months - as her memory got worse she would forget almost instantly whether or not she had used the inhaler so would be unsure about ticking the boxes, and I had to take over supervision. It might or might not help - even if it shows up which doses she misses. Like Lyn, I suspect that your Mum may be forgetting to use it properly (if it's the type that you need to "load" a dose she might simply be forgetting to do that, so the counter doesn't click on and she inhales just air). Good luck, hopefully the doses she is using are successfully keeping her asthma under control anyway.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think she still gets that bit although the Dr kindly gave her a new design which has caused some confusion.

Would it help to go back to the old design? At least in terms of clearing up some of the confusion.

As for ensuring that she actually takes her doses, I don't know what to suggest, other that someone is there to ensure she takes the dose. I realize you say

I'm hoping to avoid a carer as there are so many people in need and there resources are already over stretched buy thanks for the suggestion.

but you are also in need.

Richierich

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks all. Useful ideas, I'm going try a few different approaches and see what works.

sunny beach hut

Jul 1, 2014
Not sure if this will help but could you ask her to actually use the inhaler whilst you are on the phone. You could then hear if she is actually doing it.
I was particulary interested as mum uses an inhaler and says her asthma is getting worse, I think it's because she doesn't inhale enough.
Not sure what else to suggest and take heart that you aren't the only one facing this problem. Take care

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
️Re inhaler , has she seen an asthma nurse, they will let her have what suits her /preference . Could a nurse go and see her /assess which one.
They tend to push new versions (told to I'm told by my own asthma nurse etc) , I'm back on original type I had over 30 yrs ago which they are happy to provide as it's cheaper :) but I prefer it.
Not re how to get her to use other than a carer /neighbour ?

kathynewman

Nov 16, 2014
Inhaler use

Hi - I have exactly the same problem with my Mum in Law - did you come up with anything that helps?

Kathy

Thanks all. Useful ideas, I'm going try a few different approaches and see what works.