Useful socks

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Getting socks on can be a real struggle, either for the person with dementia or someone trying to help them. An occupational therapist told us about loose-topped socks designed for people with diabetes for whom tight socks can apparently cause serious problems. These are very good, being quite loose (even after washing) so easier to get on but staying up despite their loose tops.

Then we discovered bamboo socks which are similar but have the added advantage of not getting smelly!:D

They are available online from Amazon and ebay and probably many other places. They cost more than conventional socks, but well worth it.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Bamboo socks! Sounds intriguing. Anyone ever road tested a pair? I'm a big fan of socks.

Haven't had these but my grandson had some bamboo socks when he was a baby they were nice and smooth and soft and washed lovely they are antibacterial and are supposed to keep any moisture away from little feet
Thank you stanley I will try them for my husband, I always buy the non grip top socks as he has periphial neuropathy and diabetes and not a lot of sensation in his feet and legs
Jeany x

PS my daughter also tried bamboo nappies with grandson as well

Last edited:

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
Hubby got some bamboo socks in Tesco a while back. They look just the same as the rest of his work socks but are a bit finer and lovely and soft. Their web site looks like they still do similar although the biggest selection (for men anyway) was in golf socks :rolleyes: I'll need to look and see if they have ladies ones as well.

2TT charlie

Mar 27, 2012
Somerset
Oh boy, socks! My father always wore 'indestructible' socks. They're made from man-made fibre and just don't wear out so most of his socks are probably 20 or 30 years old! (Father doesn't have smelly feet and was always smug that he could wear a pair of socks for a week.) Anyway, they're quite close fitting and he complains that they're hard to get on his feet, but other socks aren't 'the right ones', so I've been looking at socks since I moved in! :rolleyes:

I bought him some nice soft bamboo calf-length socks (amazon), but they're too thin and too short, apparently. Proper knee socks are 'too long' because he pulls calf length socks up to his knees. (Bought myself some nice bamboo sports socks though - lovely! :D) Recently I tried him back on the knee-length and he's not so aware of the difference in length.

So now we're on 'Wellington boot socks' (Amazon again) knitted from a really soft acrylic that are easy for him to roll up to put on his feet and long enough that he can pull them up to where he likes them. I thought they were too thick during the summer but for winter they're ideal and by next summer he'll probably be happy. They do fall down, but they're bulky enough that they still cover a fair amount of his leg even 'collapsed'. :)