Useful apps

Al-4

Dec 30, 2016
Here are five apps to put on a tablet which some people may find useful. The tablet should be capable of making phone calls ( £40-£50 eBay ). With these apps you can set a screen with the following :- Clock showing day or night which can also display typed messages at user specified times. Widgets to switch radio stations on/off with one tap. Widget to make phone call with one tap. Automatic answer of calls. Labels to attach instructions (for eg. tap here for radio or tap here to phone).
I think it gives peace of mind if a person knows they can make a call to someone, however bare in mind that you may receive calls at all sorts of hours! . The apps are available on Google play store. 1. Radio Widget Expert. 2. Overlays float everywhere. 3.Day Clock. 4. Sticky Notes and 5. Auto Answer incoming call.
I asked my service provider to remove ability to leave messages on my mobile, that way if phone isn't answered the screen will revert back to clock with radio and call widgets. Create your widgets and sticky notes first then use overlays app to have them displayed on clock screen. Any problems with setting up I'll be happy to advise.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
How many people with Dementia do you think would be able to operate this system? Very early on in my late Husband's battle with AD he forgot how to operate an ordinary phone.

Al-4

Dec 30, 2016
How many people with Dementia do you think would be able to operate this system? Very early on in my late Husband's battle with AD he forgot how to operate an ordinary phone.
Hi Lyn
Sorry to hear of your Husband's passing on.
My mum can no longer use her regular phone but phones me regularly by tapping the icon on the tablet with my picture on it. Not sure how often she uses the radio icons if at all. I think that's more to do with her preferring the tv than actually using the icons to turn the radio on.