Use of small cctv camera in home

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Hi all
It's been a while since my last post and Mum is moving along slowly,thank goodness, on her dementia journey at present. She is doing even less than before and my support is growing but we're ok.
However I'm thinking of using a small cctv camera in her flat. She lives in sheltered accommodation and has 2 visits a week from carers and 1 from cleaner as well as myself of course. I wanted to know if others who have used or are using cctv have let the carers/cleaners or scheme managers know about it before installing it? Is there a legal obligation to do so? I've got a very basic model to trial.

Obviously with Mum's memory she says one thing and carers notes say another sometimes but she also doesn't remember if cleaner popped in to change day or if she didn't allow her in.Then I have to investigate to ensure all is as it should be. I felt maybe cctv would be helpful in this and also when I'm not there to be able to check in with it now and then to see all ok. She is more unsteady on her feet now and it would be good to know if she gets up at night.

Thoughts appreciated thanks
Azay

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I don't know how the Data protection law stands in the UK, but here, cctv can be used in a workplace (and your mother's home would be the Carer's workplace) for health & safety reasons, like for example monitoring traffic, monitoring customers coming & going etc., but can only be used to monitor workers if the employer can prove justification. For example, in a shop where the employer could furnish proof that the till was, regularly, over a period of time, being short.

If UK laws are the same, then I think you would be on sticky ground. Unless of course you had a chat with the carers first, and told them you were installing the cameras for your mum's safety, so that you could keep an eye on her. I have to say, at the moment, I would feel very appalled at the idea of my own daughter ever installing spy cameras in my home. But at the moment, I don't have dementia. So, who knows? If she was worried enough, maybe she would. And maybe I wouldn't notice. But the idea doesn't sit well with me, to be honest.

Maybe an option would be to install a camera just outside your mum's front door? That way, you could monitor comings & goings, without it being very instrusive into anyone's privacy.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
However I'm thinking of using a small cctv camera in her flat. She lives in sheltered accommodation and has 2 visits a week from carers and 1 from cleaner as well as myself of course. I wanted to know if others who have used or are using cctv have let the carers/cleaners or scheme managers know about it before installing it? Is there a legal obligation to do so? I've got a very basic model to trial.

Obviously with Mum's memory she says one thing and carers notes say another sometimes but she also doesn't remember if cleaner popped in to change day or if she didn't allow her in.Then I have to investigate to ensure all is as it should be. I felt maybe cctv would be helpful in this and also when I'm not there to be able to check in with it now and then to see all ok. She is more unsteady on her feet now and it would be good to know if she gets up at night.

Thoughts appreciated thanks
Azay
Do what ever you want in your Mum's home as long as your Mum agrees. You do not have to tell anyone else.

A old mobile phone plugged in, so always charged, is a good first move as you can down load apps that will let you call the phone with no ring and you can listen in to what is happening so can tell if carers are in or maybe you Mum is not.

:)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Azay28
I too have reservations - I appreciate what Pete R says, it is your mum's home and you want her to be safe
you aren't though, investigating suspicions of abuse so it seems to me that it's a courtesy to tell anyone who visits your mum that there may be cameras
the people who visit don't know what you are going to do with any recordings you may make - they surely have a right to their own privacy and 'virtual' safety
maybe, as LadyA suggests, think carefully about where any cameras are positioned
and you do say your mum is in sheltered housing, are there any stipulations about such things in her agreement?
best wishes

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
cctv

Thanks all, lots of food for thought there and good advice. I will certainly think it through more before doing anything. Azay

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
you aren't though, investigating suspicions of abuse so it seems to me that it's a courtesy to tell anyone who visits your mum that there may be cameras
the people who visit don't know what you are going to do with any recordings you may make - they surely have a right to their own privacy and 'virtual' safety
maybe,
Might be worth having a read of this guidance from the CQC around the use of convert/overt surveillance.

:)

Jully26

Jul 12, 2017
I need a cctv camera in my office. Is it your home delivery service? Please let me know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH