Use of drugs during lockdown

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
73B11091-A22E-4C5B-B187-7C8AB13DFD47.jpeg

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
My husband was prescribed respridone by a GP at his care home because he was becoming increasingly verbally and physically aggressive since the start of lockdown. Before lockdown I went in three times a week to help with his personal care and eating. We spent many happy hours singing, dancing going for walks. During lockdown I was only able to do window visits and he would say I love you come in not able to understand why I couldn’t. He was then sectioned five weeks ago and is currently being weaned off this drug which has had the effect of reducing him to a zombie like state, he doesn’t know me and has to be helped to walk, ironically I am able to see him inside in the same room. I am able to take my mask down briefly so as he can see me, this doesn’t always work unfortunately. I am beyond furious that the GP took this decision without liaising with my husband’s consultant and the chess team who were involved in my husband’s care.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read of your situation @Baker17. How incredibly stressful and distressing for you. Have you been able to discuss the situation with the consultant and make the GP aware of angry you are at the decision?

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I’m so sorry to read of your situation @Baker17. How incredibly stressful and distressing for you. Have you been able to discuss the situation with the consultant and make the GP aware of angry you are at the decision?
@Izzy yes I did point this out, this action by the GP prescribing without speaking to my husband’s consultant or the Chess team who have been working with the home led to him being sectioned for his own and others safety. They are now weaning him off the drug but unfortunately this GP’s action has put mine and my husband’s future in doubt, not knowing where he will go next is just too awful for words. I have always had complete faith in his consultant and still do they have always been open with me and discussed everything, but that GP ?x

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Sorry to hear about this @Baker17 . I think there's a lot happening currently in care homes that family are not aware of/ not consulted about. Another danger of denying family access to loved ones. We are their eyes and ears, the worst homes can go unchecked, I would hope they are in a minority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75