Use a lasting power of attorney service

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK

'How does the Use a lasting power of attorney service work?

Customers whose LPAs are registered by the OPG (this is the last thing we do before returning it to you) on or after the 17 July 2020 will receive an LPA reference number and activation key in their registration letter. Both attorneys and donors on the LPA will receive these details. They can then visit www.gov.uk/use-lpa to create an account and add the LPA by using the reference number and activation key, along with their date of birth. Once the LPA is added, the customer can choose to share the details by generating a secure access code to provide to third party organisations. The third party can then view the LPA details by going to www.gov.uk/view-lpa, adding the customer name and secure access code. This enables the organisation to check the LPA is valid and offers a downloadable version of the LPA summary to save for their records.'

(with thanks to nitram)

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It is very easy. You have quoted how it works. When you want to register the LPA with Bloggs Bank, you go online, generate a code, specific to Bloggs Bank, and pass it on to the POA department of the bank. They then check it online. You don't even have to pay for a stamp.

The problem is that some institutions don't accept this modern way of working.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
many institutions struggle to ''get it'' when you wave the peices of paper in front of them, never mind something they have to do on line. I suppose it might work for some, but i wouldnt bank on it\

Shall always remember the shamozzle it was registering mums with her bank.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
many institutions struggle to ''get it'' when you wave the peices of paper in front of them, never mind something they have to do on line. I suppose it might work for some, but i wouldnt bank on it\

Me too Jessbow, I had to ask for a different ‘adviser’ in my bank as the young lady in question was just floundering.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Lots of bank staff have no idea. I had CoP deputyship and they knew even less about that. I booked an appointment with the bank manager who had obviously looked it up beforehand, but sorted it all out.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
The best one we had when presenting the COP Deputy paperwork was 'we cannot discuss it with you due to data protection' We had to tell him he was wrong.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Large institutions have a POA department, you're better writing to them than talking to staff in a branch.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Over the last few months, we’ve been working hard to make our Use an LPA service available to lasting powers of attorney (LPAs) registered before 17 July 2020. From now on, LPAs registered on or after 1 September 2019 will be able to access the service and share their details online with organisations, to make the lives of donors and attorneys easier.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Reading this, I think I may have misunderstood the POA process.

I always thought you had the document drawn up, then sent to the OPG for registration, but don’t actually use it until the pwd loses capacity. At which point you apply to the OPG to be allowed to use the POA. ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You present the registered power, or preferably a certified copy, to the institution where you wish to use the power. It is proof that you have the power.

The new service simplifies this process effectively removing the need for certified copies.

In the case of a registered financial power it can be used whilst the donor retains capacity unless the donor has specified otherwise in the power.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
As @nitram says you can use a registered LPA at any time unless there are specific stipulations in the LPA that say otherwise. This gives you flexibility and may help the PWD to retain more independence.

For example in my case my father is still able to write cheques for his newspapers or a gardener but he couldn't possibly manage his investments, so I deal with bigger bills and the financial institutions under the POA.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.

Pre Covid it took over an hour sitting in my bank with a so called advisor while she tried to get her head and the system around it. Health one was a lot easier with her GP