Us two and IT

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Still no real sigh of IT and she is still in manic cleaning mode and this evening after tea she started wiping the dado rails and skirting boards even though almost gasping for breath and is clearly exhausted. I do try to intervene offering to do awkward bits and she did let me mop the laminate floors. Don’t know where she gets the energy from as I am sweat soaked just from the heat. Will be interesting to see if all change when the thunder storms start.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
it was my birthday on Sunday and my 2 daughters arranged a social distancing gathering each, the 1st at 2pm and other at 3.30 both on Saturday. Initially and as usual Pauline declined the invitations but almost last minute changed her mind and she was amazing - stole the show! Everyone was delighted to see her out and about and she just loved it. Best birthday present I could have had.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you both. The birthday outing seems to have rejuvenated her and she wants her independence back in regard to shopping etc. Yesterday she was talking of trying to do some walking on her own and this morning at 7.30 her coat was on and off she toddled up the road. I obviously spied on her but no need as she completed the journey to local school and back easily which is an impressive 500 yards which for her is a marathon. She now wants to go shopping but me with her so looks like a busy day, but as long as she is happy and being positive then so am I. Funny thing is that her short term memory in many ways is much worse and the repeat questions stage has started in earnest and yet this part of the brain seems in fair nick. Happy days?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Happy belated birthday. So pleased to hear you are in a good place at the moment. Hope the shopping trip isn't too stressful.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Happy Birthday @Agzy , sounds like you had a good one. And Pauline is doing amazingly well must be such a joy to see her happy and engaged.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Just returned form parading the aisles of Morrisons and Home Bargains and exhausted but sort of enjoyed it. Every time we go shopping I it has been a nightmare of steering her around people who seem to have no consideration or sense of safety regarding the virus. Today’s venture started the same way but I gave up as aisle directions etc just didnt make sense at all and so off she went mooching and wandering as she will. It was hilarious to seee the faces and reactions of those expecting her to get out of their way as she didn’t and suddenly she was the enemy. Nothing harsh or confrontational happened but it was just funny although a nightmare to keep up with her wanderings in both stores. Also gave up on trying to say, “no, we don’t need them ,” advice. As futile but running out of room in the shed because of build up of some of the sprays and wipes.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Sadly a slight slip back to snappiness last night but although out of the blue was not too much of an issue and she slept like a log afterwards and was smiley this morning. Shows what a line we walk though as it was yet again about washing clothes as she asked about weather forecast so she could hang out the washing and I, rather stupidly said there was nothing to wash - boom. Trod on her toes as doing washing every day no matter whether it needs doing has become a therapy and obsession with her and generally I don’t disagree and will try not to again.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are treading on eggshells @Agzy . It`s really tough. I hope there are times you get some respite and a little time for yourself but I suspsect it is only when Pauline is sleeping.

Belated birthday greetings. I`m pleased to hear it was enjoyable for all of you.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
You are treading on eggshells @Agzy . It`s really tough. I hope there are times you get some respite and a little time for yourself but I suspsect it is only when Pauline is sleeping.

Belated birthday greetings. I`m pleased to hear it was enjoyable for all of you.
Thank you @granny G my respite is walking albeit just the streets rather than the far flung places from when we caravanned but I still enjoy it. I will be doing the Memory Walk again this year and have set a target of 5 miles along the coast of North Wirral near my home.. 5 miles doesn’t sound much but at present a long walk is 2-2.5 miles so double the normal stroll so got to get some training in and she understands this and accepts it whereas just ‘going for a walk’ is often questioned with, Why?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Well I definitely must have stepped on the eggshells sometime over the weekend as anything and everything met with scowls and sharp words and ne’er a smile in sight and so my Indian Summer comes to an abrupt halt. Each day I have been getting her to take on some of the little tasks as was done prior to lock down and her bad turn UTI and she was reacting so well and cannot pinpoint what it was that changed the good moods as have been full of praise for her throughout. Seriously thinking of going off in the Motorhome for 2/3 days respite and maybe gettting a carer to call in morning and evening just for medication times and morning commode emptying as in all other ways, should I not be here I am sure she could cope. In fact with lock down she may have become too dependant far too soon in the disease progress. Hmmm.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry @Agzy , although I must say that I was rather waiting for this day.
I didnt like to say, but it is actually quite common for someone with dementia to suddenly have an upturn because the brain has found a route past a lot of the damage, but it never lasts because that route in turn becomes damaged.
Its nothing to do with something that you have or have not done. Its just the dementia.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Im sorry @Agzy , although I must say that I was rather waiting for this day.
I didnt like to say, but it is actually quite common for someone with dementia to suddenly have an upturn because the brain has found a route past a lot of the damage, but it never lasts because that route in turn becomes damaged.
Its nothing to do with something that you have or have not done. Its just the dementia.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))
Why do the routes become damaged I wonder, is this something that scientists are researching? So much that is not understood about dementia.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Chatting to our neighbour who works as a care assistant in dementia ward as she was asking after Pauline and she suggested I needed to get away and asked about plans so I explained that I would love to join two friends from my caravanning days at a meet in York to which she replied saying she would call in at least twice a day to see to meds and just check in. I didn’t want to impose as she has. Kiddies but she insists so I have booked the site and everything is crossed.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Why do the routes become damaged I wonder,
The routes through the brain nerves getting damaged is what causes the dementia. If its Alzheiners its due to the plaques that Alzheimers cause, LBD has Lewey Bodies, Vascular dementiia has multiple small vascular accidents (a bit like TIAs). Only its probably not that simple. There has been lots of research going on, but not much in the way of results.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The routes through the brain nerves getting damaged is what causes the dementia. If its Alzheiners its due to the plaques that Alzheimers cause, LBD has Lewey Bodies, Vascular dementiia has multiple small vascular accidents (a bit like TIAs). Only its probably not that simple. There has been lots of research going on, but not much in the way of results.
Allows us to understand how complex the whole thing is and why it is so difficult to come up with effective treatments.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
There are some lovely people out there! I hope it all goes well, take advantage while you can!