(US members) Medicaid recertification

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Here it is, as it is every May since 2012: the letter prompting me to do Mom's Medicaid recertification. I'm getting better at it, and we always qualify, but it is still a manual, multi-step process which just brings home to me how onerous and thankless the paperwork aspect of running someone else's life can be.

How many hours does it take you? Have you ever not qualified? What's the hardest bit?

I have a month to do it, but it takes nearly that long to request and receive all the parts. I should really start tonight, but I just can't face it after a long, mentally tiring day at my actual job. :(

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hi, Celia, and sorry for not responding sooner.

My mother still has enough assets to pay for her care right no, but I know that if she lives long enough, I will be in your position sooner rather than later. Even with a very good elder law attorney on my mother's team, I am not looking forward to this.

I definitely know the feeling of, after a day doing all the other jobs you have to do (especially an actual job), facing that piece of mail or pile of paperwork or bill that needs paying. I'm looking at my mother's bills right now, on my desk, in fact, not to mention a letter from the board of elections from her previous place of residence, that I have no idea what to do with. Being responsible for someone else's life and paperwork always seems to intrude on my own life, no matter how much I try to keep it separate.

And because it's a thankless task, and your mother isn't going to thank you, I will say: you are doing a great job.

Hope you can complete the paperwork with a minimum of annoyance.