Urine retention

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
Am back again with my crisis. :eek: Mum could not pass urine for 24 hours, i.e. since 2 p.m. yesterday until about the same time today. I had tried some home remedies like a sitz bath, hot and cold compress etc. but nothing worked. Our doctor did an ultrasound scan and found that the bladder was almost full. Catheterisation could have been done but I said I would try using a rectal suppository to induce motion and thereby allow urine to flow. This worked quite well but now again she is retaining. If she doesn't pass urine for a long time, I guess I will have to go in for catheterisation. I have been giving her enough water/juice, though.

For the time being, other anomalies have been ruled out by our doctor. So I suspect mum isn't able to use her pelvic muscles and/or she isn't able to sense the need in her brain. Since this has just started, I am posting in the hope of getting some good advice, as usual. Has anyone here had this problem?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
Ever since I posted this, mum was able to empty her bladder only once in 24 to 36 hours. This problem coincided with my starting her on Ebixa which has since been withdrawn. I am not sure if the condition could be linked to Ebixa (since no one else here has reported it) but the good news is mum was able to empty her bladder twice today just in 10 hours, for the first time. Am so relieved.

For those of you wondering why I didn't take her to the hospital, you will know from my previous posts that mum is here on special permit and a special insurance which only covers emergencies like heart attacks and accidents but nothing like hospital visits for urine retention. Of course, if things had gone out of control, I would have taken her to hospital but this insurance business is tricky - her age, 'foreigner status' etc. doesn't make it any easier.

What I would like to add is that I was told by many here to leave taps running to stimulate the bladder (?) which I did and it seems to work. :)

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sue, so sorry you had to work through this alone. Yes running taps usually seems to assist somewhat. Look after yourself, Connie

widget

Jul 18, 2005
Lincs
Hi Stimpfig
Sorry this seems like a really stupid question - do you think she's drinking enough?

I hope your Mum's bladder situation improves, one less thing to worry about eh?

Take care

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
widget said:
Hi Stimpfig
Sorry this seems like a really stupid question - do you think she's drinking enough?

I hope your Mum's bladder situation improves, one less thing to worry about eh?

Take care

Thank you Connie and Widget. I am supposed to get 2 litres into mum per day! I consider myself lucky if I can get her to drink upto 1.5 litres but there are days when it does get difficult and I can't get beyond 1.3 litres. It's getting more and more difficult ! Wonder how others are coping with this problem.

Connie: Meanwhile, hope things are getting better for you.

Kind regards