Urinalysis % result - what does it mean?

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Mum (in care home but I visit for 2-3 hours most days) was very badly affected by UTIs in Dec and Jan. By end Jan we were even having palliative care/will it be weeks or months conversations. She has gradually improved a little.

The staff had been a bit slow to react to my requests that she be checked for UTI as it seems Mum's urine did not have "the smell", and they attributed her decline initially to dementia. When I saw her file a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a "Urinalysis" comment recorded on some days, just saying "97%" or "98%". Does anyone know what this means? I ask as she seems to be hallucinating and "not quite right" but don't want to cry wolf if the 97% etc records imply that she is now being routinely checked. I know I should just ask a nurse but my favourite hasn't been on duty when I've been there the last few days.

When I've googled urinalysis I can't find an explanation of what just a % would mean.

MerryWive

Mar 20, 2015
Mum (in care home but I visit for 2-3 hours most days) was very badly affected by UTIs in Dec and Jan. By end Jan we were even having palliative care/will it be weeks or months conversations. She has gradually improved a little.

The staff had been a bit slow to react to my requests that she be checked for UTI as it seems Mum's urine did not have "the smell", and they attributed her decline initially to dementia. When I saw her file a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a "Urinalysis" comment recorded on some days, just saying "97%" or "98%". Does anyone know what this means? I ask as she seems to be hallucinating and "not quite right" but don't want to cry wolf if the 97% etc records imply that she is now being routinely checked. I know I should just ask a nurse but my favourite hasn't been on duty when I've been there the last few days.

When I've googled urinalysis I can't find an explanation of what just a % would mean.

I'm not sure what that could mean. All I can say is that we care for MIL at home and the district nurse gave us some urine analysis sticks that change colour to tell you various things about the urine e.g. it's pH, glucose level. I have just looked at the list of diagnostics and none of them seems to be as a percentage, so I guess they have another system there.

I suppose the main indicator something is wrong would be elevated white blood cell (leucocyte) count, but that would not be a % as it is not a percentage of anything.

So I'm still clueless.

I know that even when we got suspected UTIs and sent samples to the GP they came back inconclusive so I think as people get older maybe there is so much going on as systems are not working quite right and it is hard to tell what is going on?

We seemed to have success by using a concentrated cranberry powder which you dissolve in a drink (actually you can get pills also if she can take pills). But there is confusing evidence on that front too and not sure whether care home would be happy to try that.

Incidentally I wonder how they collected the sample for testing as that was a whole challenge in and of itself which we had to solve!

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Thanks folks, I guess I will have to catch a nurse and ask about tests if behaviour is still "not right" when I visit later.

Piph - I ask here first as I have learnt so much!

MerryWive - I collected the sample for the Dec test as Mum was still continent. But it's not easy is it! That UTI left her doubly incontinent (and so badly affected her cognition that she is seemingly unaware of this, a small blessing as she would be mortified). I assume some kind of strips must be available for inserting/attaching to pads - so many people at risk of UTI are incontinent.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... I assume some kind of strips must be available for inserting/attaching to pads..."

You can get
http://www.tena.co.uk/professionals/product-news/tena-u-test/
but these only test for nitrite and/or leukocytes.

You can also use an adult version of the kit containing a special pad and syringe as used for infants, these enable full tests with sticks to be done and are cheaper but messier to use.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Wow that's brilliant! Why didn't the district nurses know about that....?! "

(S)he may have known but preferred to not mention their existence rather than say 'there is a product but the NHS can't afford it'

EDIT
http://www.incontinenceshop.com/tena-u-test
but they come cheaper in bulk.

Last edited:

MerryWive

Mar 20, 2015
"Wow that's brilliant! Why didn't the district nurses know about that....?! "

(S)he may have known but preferred to not mention their existence rather than say 'there is a product but the NHS can't afford it'

EDIT
http://www.incontinenceshop.com/tena-u-test
but they come cheaper in bulk.

Perhaps, but we did somehow get a prescription for the dipsticks which are £20 or £30 !! (yes you get more tests for the price, but still very expensive) Can't remember how we got that and I think some people were surprised about that, maybe it came from the hospital....

And the amount of times we said to them it's really hard to get a sample....you'd have thought they'd have suggested it lol

Anyway, I will definitely be trying that if we have another suspected UTI, that's really useful!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Now found a link to a typical 'urine collection pack'
http://www.gpsupplies.com/newcastle-urine-collection-pack.html

I used to get a supply of sticks, Monovette syringes, and PCT analysis request slips direct from the practice nurse at the GPs, hand them in at the GP's reception and await an email as to whether I should collect a prescription, book a phone consultation with the GP, or do nothing.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...it's really hard to get a sample..."

Strategically placed placed clingfilm or container (clingfilm is best as not so obvious) and hope for no number twos.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976